Preternatural Phenomena

• Dedicated to Mathieu Ethington

    The sun set far off to the west as night creeped upon the Nebraska farmland. Emily, Jennifer, Dianna, Matt, and myself had arrived at the old broken down house where it all began. Not entirely sure what we were investigating but something about the place kept calling us back. I for one wanted nothing to do with that hell hole of a dump, but for some reason or another, there I was back again. Standing in the front doorway looking into the darkness of an unknown past. The eerie surroundings from within the walls sent down our spins. Dianna was clinging onto the back of my shirt to prevent me from stepping inside while Emily was pulling me by the arm to step in through the front door. The door was barely hung by a single hinge. "Okay, okay!" I told Emily. "I'll come in."

“Shh!” hushed Matt. “Do you hear that?”

“Yes dumb ass” bellowed Emily. “It's a cat.”

    Just the thought of a cat at this location started to make my stomach churn. Dianna wasn't feeling comfortable. She planted her feet outdoors while Emily and I stepped in. I turned to keep a close eye on Dianna as we parted. She had a worried look across her face, refusing to follow. I was more comfortable knowing she had a flashlight with her.  Her and Jennifer decided to scope out the front door area with their flashlights, trying not to blind everyone nor each other. Emily turned on her flashlight and ventured further with me by her side. I knew exactly where she was headed. To the basement.

“You first!” said Emily.

I rolled my eyes and sighed. “Why do I always have to be the first?” I asked.

“Because you're the leader of the team. Besides, if anything happened to you I can run Paranormal L.I.G.H.T.S while you are dead and gone.” she joked. Or at least I thought she was joking until I saw the crazed gaze in her eyes above her sinister grin. But as dumb as I fell for her guilt trip I adventured myself down the spider web infested long dark stairwell leading down. I tripped from the last stair and slammed against a basement wall blocking my fall. My flashlight smashed against the limestone wall causing the light to spark out.

“You okay Nick?” asked Emily.

“Yeah...” I coughed. “ My flashlight broke and I can't see a thing down here. As I noticed Emily shinning her light down at me there was only a little lit area silhouetting around me. I squinted my eyes in hopes to get a better look in the dark room. No luck.

“Hang on. HEY MATT?” Emily yelled. “Bring Nick another flashlight will ya? Matt?” She paused for a moment to listen. “Hello?” Emily’s tone changed quickly.

Thud... Thud... Thud... Thud...

I could hear slow heavy footsteps from the floor above me.

“Tell Matt to stop playing around and bring me a light.”

“I don't know where he is.”

“I can hear him walking around up there.”

“Huh? What are you talking about? It's just me up here. Dianna and Jennifer are still at the front door. Oh! Wait a sec. Here he is.”

“Nick?” Matt called. “You okay down there?

“Yeah, never-mind. I am coming up right now. This place gives me the creeps. I then heard the footsteps again.

Thud... Thud... Thud... Thud...

“Who's that?” I asked.

“It's just Emily and I up here." answered Matt. You hear something down there?”

“Yeah.” I paused to listen. “I hear footsteps coming from upstairs.”

“I don't hear anything.” said Emily.