Chapter One

This chapter was written by: Dyne! ( ForceOfTheSea )

Laughing with her friends in the cafeteria, Carina Young had to admit; her life was perfect.

She belonged to Westlake High's popular clique, and was best friends with the school's Queen bee. She was, without fail, invited to the hottest parties, and she had a fair share of her own admirers. Her grades were high. Everyone loved her, or at least pretended to. Nothing was missing.

She ignored the lingering what ifs in her head; pushing them away with a toss of her caramel hair. She focused on the words of Michelle Greene, Westlake High's Queen Bee; her best friend.

"- And then I said: 'Honey, look at me. Do you really think I'd wear something like that?'" Michelle said, dramatically lowering her voice. "The moron totally apologized! Like, why would I ever wear a sweater as hideous as that?"

Carina laughed lightly, playing with her fries. "Guess that's the last time that guard accuses you of shoplifting, Meech."

"It better be!" Michelle huffed indignantly, her green eyes flashing. "Like, if I was even gonna shoplift, it wouldn't be in a shop as hideous as that."

"That's my girl," Todd Cameron murmured, wrapping his arms around Michelle's waist. "Always so sassy."

Michelle gave a cat like smile, looking at her boyfriend from under her lashes. "You love me for it."

"I ship Tochelle and all, but you people are grossing me out." Ayana Atienza scoffed, flipping her curly dark hair over her shoulder. "Go and make out in French class, but not when I'm eating."

Ayana was, of course, a part of their clique. She could be spiteful-she was usually the first to criticize or laugh at an unfortunate student-and she could be a bit of a bully. But she had her moments of goodness, as Carina could attest to.

"For once I agree with Amnesia here." Caleb Blake, Todd's best friend, and right hand man, spoke from beside Carina. "I have football practice later and not puking would be great, thanks."

Carina shrugged. "I think it's cute."

"Of course you do!" Ayana scoffed. "You're the hopeless romantic here!"

"She knows a good couple when she sees one," Michelle smirked, curling into Todd's side. "She is my bestie after all."

Ayana rolled her eyes.

"It's almost time for class," Lyra Andersen suddenly said, looking up from the book she was reading, her calculating gray eyes scanning the table. Carina had always felt as if Lyra could read minds, by the way she looked at you as if she knew just what you were thinking. "So if you want to eat anything at all, you should start now."

"Lyra, what are you wearing? That sweater clashes with your eyes!" Michelle said, eyeing the yellow sweater in question in disgust.

Caleb snorted. "What's up with girls and clothes?"

Carina tilted her head, examining the offending clothing. "She's right, Lyra. It does not go well with your eyes."

Lyra shrugged, unaffected. "I like it."

"Why's Nova staring at you?" Carina felt herself stiffen.

"What?"

"He keeps looking over," Caleb grinned, wriggling his eyebrows. "Been doing... the naughties with him?"

Carina's eyes widened. "What? No!"

"Having people stare at you in adoration is nothing new. Because let's face it, honey, you're gorgeous. But Nova Roberts? He ignores our entire existence!" Michelle sounded indignant.

"I don't know. Besides, nothing like that ever happened!"

"He's doing it again," Ayana said skeptically. "Pretty suspicious."

Carina looked across the cafeteria and locked eyes with Nova Roberts.

And a barrage of memories flashed before her.

Movie marathons, paper messages, hurt gray eyes. The fight. Heated glares. But most of all, guilt.

He blinked, his gray eyes widening as if surprised, before narrowing them in a heated glare, raising an eyebrow.

Carina looked away.

She couldn't face him.

Not after what she had done.

Not after what happened.

"What's up with him?" Todd muttered. "Hey, Roberts!" His shout rang across the cafeteria. Carina froze.

She could see him stiffening. He didn't turn around though. People were starting to look, curious at what the school's golden boy could want with Nova Roberts, of all people.

"Todd, no-" her frantic protest was cut off.

"Hey, come on man! I'm talking to you!"

He turned in his seat, his demeanor relaxed. "Yeah? What do you want?" he said lazily, looking almost bored.

"There's football practice later. You're going right?"

Carina held back a sigh of relief.

"I don't know. Maybe." Nova smirked, then slid out of his seat. Walking towards the cafeteria doors, passing Carina's table. He didn't even glance at her. He opened the doors and stopped, glancing back. "Ten seconds till break's over. Thought you'd want to know."

He left.

The moment the doors had stopped swinging, the bell rang. Caleb cursed and immediately started shoveling food into his mouth. There was a scramble to get to class, along with whispers and gossip about what had just happened.

"He's hot and all, but he freaks me out," Ayana said. "Ten seconds to the end of recess, and he had to say it. What a weirdo."

Todd immediately leapt to Nova's defense. "He's an okay guy, he's just going through something."

Carina remained silent.

Nova Roberts. Nerd turned bad, fell in with the wrong crowd. Never showing any interest in the girls who tried their luck with him. And there were plenty. Reckless. Smart.

Carina's ex best friend.