Chapter Two (Edited 08/2021)

Start from the beginning

I opened my mouth to introduce myself, but I was jerked to the side by Ella throwing her arm around my shoulders and pulling me close. "This is my sister!" She said it so proudly that I was flabbergasted. I just gave a hesitant smile.

"Ah, Miss Emmaline, wasn't it? So glad to meet you finally! We've heard so much about you." The woman was really nice, and she gave off a grandmotherly feeling I hadn't known before. It warmed me, producing a smile on my face as well.

"Nice to meet you, too." I murmured, suddenly feeling shy. My social skills probably needed some work. Living alone with mom really killed my amount of social contact. Not to mention I was always two years older than all the kids in my class, making me an anomaly.

"Kids!" El yelled, surprising me and pulling me from my train of thought. "Get down here, I have a surprise!" It was almost immediately that I heard the padding of footsteps of someone running, but they abruptly ended and continued much slower and more deliberately.

"I'm coming! I'm coming! Surprises!" The tiny voice yelled back. I could hear strange sounds coming from the stairwell. Thump! shhhhh. thump! shhhh.

El muttered to me as I listened, confused. "Lilly hasn't mastered the stairs yet." As soon as it clicked into place, I could see her now, legs first, then thump as her rear hit the next step. shhh as she slid to the edge. I stifled a laugh, watching in amusement as she did this, the two older kids behind her. The boy waited patiently as she slid her way down, but the older girl looked about ready to kick her off.

"Geez, Lilly. You should have just let me carry you." She grumbled, stomping each step she took.

"No! I can do it." Lilly replied gruffly as she continued her trek.

Lance was the only one who noticed me standing there, and he locked up, causing Lacey to knock into them and almost teeter and fall. "Lance! Move it!" She yelled.

What a hot head.

After Lance didn't budge, she finally looked to see what caused him to freeze. "Who's that?" she asked somewhat loudly, probably intending for El to hear.

"'That,'" she began with irritation, "is your aunt Emma." She shook her head in disbelief.

I was already getting overwhelmed. It was a lot to put on my plate at once. I basically packed up my entire life and moved it into the chaotic home of the sister I hadn't had contact with in years. Meeting two new children on top of the girl whose sour attitude was so unlike the happy, bubbly toddler I remembered was making my head spin.

But little Lilly didn't give me the option of running away. Once her feet hit the ground, she ran straight to me and threw her arms around my legs. It knocked me off balance and I almost fell, were it not for the door El thankfully shut behind us. My back hit the wood somewhat hard, knocking the wind out of me.

"Auntie Em! You came for my birthday!" She screeched in joy, showing no signs of giving my legs up. "You're late though."

"Ah.. Yeah. I did. Sorry I'm late." I uneasily replied, casting an SOS look to my sister who just looked on fondly. The other two kids stood a little further away, Lance moreso behind his sister and out of view. "Hi." I said to them, offering an awkward wave.

"Hi." Lacey said flatly before turning and walking away, towards the living room where she promptly flopped on the sofa and started watching television.

Lance seemed panicked as she left, now not having anyone to hide behind. As if he could retract into himself, he tucked his arms across his chest and looked at me with wide eyes. "Hi..."

"Lance, do you remember me telling you about Emma? She's my sister. She's going to be staying here for a while so that we can all be together!" Ella said as she moved over by him, putting a hand on his shoulder. He immediately, like a magnet, connected himself to her side.