Chapter 12

(Ember's POV)

        That night we had a nice meal and a dessert that we had cooked ourselves. I watched as the knights and Ann took their first bite. Ann had complained that she wasn't going to eat something that wasn't made by a personal cook but after talking with Jonathan she reluctantly agreed. Like always the knights lined the wall but I passed them each a bowl of stew. Jonathan was the first to try it. After taking a bite he smiled. "My compliments to the cooks."

       I smiled back. "Thank you Jonathan."

        We all ate in silence. My father had not made an appearance but I couldn't blame him. Once I had finished eating I stood up. "I think I will bring father some stew and then retire for the night."        

        Aunt Elizabeth gave me a weak smile. "Wonderful idea. I'll go get a tray ready," she said before getting up and leaving through the door to the side that led directly to the kitchen.

        While I waited for her to come back I looked at Sebastian. "Would you like to come with me?"

        Before he could answer Jonathan spoke. "I can accompany you Princess. Sir Henderson should finish his supper."

        I looked at him. Why was he addressing us by our titles? Then I remembered my uncle was present. "Thank you Sir Blackwood that is very kind of you." Just then Aunt Elizabeth entered with a tray. I approached her and took the tray from her hands. I turned back to the others. "Good night everyone," I said before leaving the room with Jonathan.

        "He should be in his office."

       We walked through the empty halls. Jonathan like always was observing with the protective feel about him. When we reached my father's office the door was shut. I carefully removed one hand from under the tray to knock on the door. No response came right away but a few  moments later my father's voice came through the door. "You may enter."

        Jonathan opened the door for me and I walked in to the room. My father was sitting in a chair behind his desk, facing the fire place and away from us. "I brought you some supper father. Aunt Elizabeth and I made it this afternoon." I set the tray on the desk.

        When my father didn't turn around or acknowledge my words I turned to go with my head down but his words stopped me, "You are so much like her. Not just in features but your spirit, in your kindness. At times I forget that she is gone, that you aren't her."

        Tears welled in my eyes. Without rising my head or turning around I said, "I'm nothing like her. I don't have her heart, her courage, her bravery, her beauty, I'm nothing like her. I'm a plain girl not a magnificent Queen like she was."

        I heard my father sigh. With a harsh tone he said,"She earned her bravery and courage by force. In a way I hope you never have to go through to earn such traits. She under went horrible circumstances." He took a breath and in a gentler voice he said, "You are like her in every other way. You have such courage and bravery you just haven't discovered it yet. I know you will and I fear that it will be forced from you like it was your mother."

        I spun around to face him. "What do you mean you fear it will be forced from me?"

        As calmly as if he was talking about the weather he said, "Dark times are on the rise my darling."

        I stared at the back of the chair in disbelief. "Dark times? Father what are you talking about? The kingdom is going to fall into darkness?"

        I saw him shake his head a bit. "Not the kingdom. The castle, more specifically you."

        Fear grasped me. "I'm going to become darkness?"