Chapter 5

Things are not going well. I was okay with being alone because I was used to it, but  after Remus, I feel so lonely. The marauders are getting worse, and I feel awful all the time.
    One day after potions class, four familiar boys stop me in the corridor. I try to walk past them, but Sirius grabs my arm and I cry out in pain. I see Remus flinch, but he does nothing.
    I'm pulled behind a coat of arms which leads to a small room. "Hello there," James says. "Leave me alone," I scowl, looking at the cuts that have reopened from their rough treatment. "I will eventually," James replies, grabbing my arm and brining his wand to it.
    White hot pain flashes through me buy I bite my tongue. I will not give him the satisfaction. I will not give him the satisfaction. I will not give him- the pain intensifies. I'm about to break, but it stops suddenly. "Leave her alone," a voice growls. James laughs and I open my eyes to see him and Remus looking at each other. "Do you want a turn?" James asks, stepping aside. Remus steps forward and I close my eyes tightly. He's going to punish me for rejecting him. He's going to torture me somehow.
    Imagine my surprise when my arm is grabbed and I'm pulled up to my feet. Remus stands in front of me protectively. "What's this rubbish?" Sirius asks. "Why are we hurting her like this?" Remus asks. "What did she do?" James rolls his eyes. "C'mon Moony, move!" Remus growls deeply and I realize what it is. It's two days before the full moon. Remus told me once that he gets emotional before the full moon, but he's making a mistake.
    "Go back to your friends," I tell him. He shakes his head. "They'll hurt you," he says. I shrug. "I'm used to it." Sirius laughs and glares at me. "Moony come on! Come back over here before you do something you might regret!" Remus looks conflicted, so I take my chance and shove him hard. He stumbles back to his friends and before he's processed what's happened, Sirius is holding my arms and James in punching me.
    "What did you do to Moony?" James demands. I don't answer. Remus starts toward us, but I give him a look that could wilt flowers. "That day by the lake when I choked you with bubbles? That was nothing!" James tells me, hitting me in the stomach.
    By the time they're done, I'm gagging on my own blood. I fall as soon as Sirius let's me go and hit the ground hard. I'm breathing heavily and my cuts took a few hits too. My body is too exhausted to get up, but my brain is yelling at me that we need help.
    I don't know how long I lay there until Remus comes back. When he moves toward me, I shrink back. "Don't touch me!" I try to yell. He looks hurt. "Please. It's for you," I tell him. Rolling his brown eyes, he skims his wand across my body, making marks disappear. When he gets to the scabs on my arms, he leans down and skims his lips across them and they disappear under his touch.
    When the marks are gone, I stand up only to immediately feel woozy. "Slow down! They hit you pretty hard," Remus says. "I'm aware," I say in response, rolling my eyes. Remus laughs which confuses me. "Actually Len, I'm a were," he relies. I roll my eyes. "Very funny."
    "Look Remus," I say, finally standing up on my own. "You can't be around me. I'm no good. You saw what almost happened! You'll lose your friends! You don't want this life Remus! Please do-" He's kissing me. After everything I just said, he's kissing me. I try to back up but he walks with me until I crash into a wall.
    He snakes his arms around my waist and I reluctantly put mine around his neck. I tangle my fingers in his hair and he keeps keeps kissing me, pressing closer and closer.
    After that day, everything is different. The marauders still hate me, but Remus always steps in when they try and do something. He walks me to class and holds my hand in the corridor. Everyone stares and it makes me nervous at first until Remus strokes the back of my hand with his thumb.