Chapter 15

When I woke up the next morning, it was bright outside, and I supposed I would be alone in the house. I went to the kitchen, and had a look at the broom cupboard, from which a broom was missing. I was alone. I was preparing breakfast when I heard loud noises coming from the front door.

"Nora, I need help right now!"

I moved towards the doors and saw Alexandra supporting Charlie, his arm around her shoulders. She was sweating and seemed hurt, but Charlie looked way worse. He was covered in blood, his hair was smoking, and his arm was burnt and looked twisted. He did not seem conscious; Alexandra was dragging him forward with all her strength.

"Nora, I need you right now! Help me put him on the couch!"

I moved as fast as I could and helped Alexandra. Once done, I ran to the bathroom and took a first aid kit which I handed to Alexandra. She emptied it and took some pads to put on Charlie's head. He was losing a lot of blood, and the pads were worthless. Charlie was barely conscious, and I could hear him weakly growling. I ran to my room and looked for a book on magical injuries. I took one to the living room and started to read the important chapters.

First, we had to stop the bleeding. Alexandra read over my shoulder, and we cast the spell on Charlie. Our spells were weak on their own but were stronger together. His head eventually stopped bleeding, but not his arms. We looked for other spells, but they were too powerful for us. I looked for a pain killer potion, and I left to the kitchen, looking for a cauldron and ingredients. Once everything was reunited, I opened an advanced potion book, and started preparing the potion for pain, so Charlie could rest. Alexandra said she could not help me with potions and she looked for pads to put on his wounds and cast further spells.

"Alexandra, help him sit, he has to sit so he can drink."

I saw her taking Charlie's shoulders and trying to lift him. His face distorted with pain, but he managed to move a little. Once seated, he grew very pale, and I was afraid he would faint.

"Charlie, open your mouth. You need to drink this; it is for pain," I said as I took the glass full of potion to his lips.

"Come on Charlie, open up, you need to swallow this, please."

He weakly opened his eyes and looked at me. He tried to smile but his face just twisted into a painful look. I put the glass to his lips and spilled a bit of potion into his mouth. He managed to swallow it, and I repeated the action so he would drink it all. After that, his face relaxed, and he fell asleep.

Alexandra and I sighted in relief and sat next to him.

"What on earth happened to him?" I asked.

"He made a mistake. Our job doesn't allow mistakes," she said, looking very tired.

"What was it?"

"He wasn't really there, he had something in mind, he wasn't focussed on what he was doing. The Dragon took advantage of it. This is honestly not the worst thing that could happen out of a dragon attack," she said growing pale with the idea.

I looked at her and remembered she was hurt as well. I thought of Charlie so much I forgot she was not in a good shape. I got up and took a glass of pain killing potion which I handed her. I also took some pads and took care of her wounds.

"I've been working with Charlie for about three years now, yet I had never been in his house," she said, thoughtful.

I stayed silent and looked at her. She was a strong person, tall, and tanned. She had a caring look on her face. In some ways she looked like Charlie. We talked a little bit together, about her passion for dragons, and about Charlie as well.

"You like him, don't you?" she eventually asked.

"So do you," I answered with a small smile.

"True. But he doesn't like me. He made it rather clear that afternoon. He was very kind to me of course; Charlie is always very kind to everyone."

"Yes. Yes, he is. He doesn't like me either. We had the talk on Christmas day."

"I know how that feels. He said I am a great person, but he wasn't for me. What was his excuse for you?" she asked, with a tired smile.

"Too young," I said, arching an eyebrow, bitter.

Alexandra silently laughed, and she fell asleep, while I was preparing something to eat. I baked eggs, and came back to the living room, when I saw Charlie, trying to move.

"Hold on over there," I said. "You don't get to move."

"Why not?"

"Because you have a contusion, a broken arm, several broken ribs and your back is burnt, that's why."

"I messed up pretty bad uh?" he whispered, with a small smile.

"Yes, you have."

We stayed silent, and we stared at each other for a few when he continued.

"When are you leaving then?"

I sat in front of him and sighed.

"I'm not leaving."

"Really?"

"I'm not going to leave you looking like a total wreck on your own."

"But you said you couldn't stand...."

"I know what I said," I interrupted, "but you kind of need me right now."

He smiled and fell asleep again. After three hours, Alexandra woke up, she said she could come over if I needed any help, and she left the house. With the amount of pain-killer I gave Charlie, I knew he would not wake up in a while. I passed by the table when I realised Charlie had received a letter from Ginny, which he did not answer. He slept for two days straight, and I was very much worried. I knew I made a good potion, but he came in in such a bad shape. I was concerned. On the second day, I received a letter from Ginny, she was worried her brother did not answer her. Charlie was not yet to wake up, and I thought I could not make her wait any longer. So, I answered, explaining Charlie was injured and could not write, avoiding the "he almost died" part. I assured I was taking good care of her brother, and there was no need to worry for his health.