Chapter 1

"Lena! we're going to Diagon Alley with or without you!" My mother shouts up to my room. I sigh and finish brushing out my wavy red hair before running downstairs, where my family is waiting.
    "It certainly took you long enough," Mother says with a huff. "I'm sorry," I told her. "Let's just go," my younger sister, Valarie, whines. "She's taken long enough already!" My mother nods in agreement before going into the fireplace and flooing to Diagon Alley. Next is my father, then my sister, and lastly, myself.
I come out into Diagon Alley, with it's many shops and places. "Gringott's first," Father says, walking toward the large wizarding bank. We all follow behind him, and he hands our vault key to one of the goblins. "Vault nine sixty-three," he tells the goblin as he hands the key over.
We're led to the cart, and we all get in. "You're so fat Lena! You're taking up so much room!" Valerie shouts. She's only eleven, but she is mean. This year will be her first at Hogwarts, and she hasn't stopped talking about it. Our entire family has been Ravenclaws except for me. I'm a Gryffindor and proud.
After getting some money, we go to Flourish and Blott's, picking up the books on our school list. This is my fifth year, and I get all the required books in a stack. While carrying them to the front, Valarie trips me, and the books fly everywhere. "Lena! You klutz!" My mother shouts.
I scramble to pick up all the books, and take them to the front, where my parents are preparing to pay. When our books are payed for, we go to a different store, because my mother only gets the best quality quills and parchment. "These will be perfect!" She exclaims, picking up two packages of quills, and several bottles of ink. After getting some parchment, we get the rest of our supplies.
We then head to the ice cream parlor. "One butterbeer, two chocolate frog, and a mint chocolate chip," my father tells the man behind the counter. The mint chocolate chip (my favorite) is mine. I start to take it when Valarie "trips" and knocks it out of my hand, spilling it on me in the process.
"You're a walking disaster!" My mother exclaims, walking towards the floo network. "I know," I reply. "Poor little Val. Did you get any on you?" I hear my dad ask. She shakes her head. "Not a drop," she confirms.
Despite my annoying younger sister, I am in no way glad to be going back to Hogwarts. I'm usually invisible there, except to the four biggest bullies in the school. James Potter, Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, and Peter Pettigrew. They've bullied me for years, both physically and psychologically. They're relentless, constantly bothering me. I have one friend, Severus Snape. Even he has been distant lately though. I wonder why.
September first comes too quickly for my liking. My parents take us to the train station, where I climb onto the train after bidding them goodbye.
    Severus is a prefect, (I have no clue how that happened) so he has to go for a prefects' meeting. I find an empty compartment and sit down by myself, hoping that nobody will come in. My hopes were in vain, as the Marauders walks in at about noon.
"You came back for another year, did you?" Potter sneers. I say nothing. "How did you even get into Gryffindor, you coward?" Sirius asks. So it has begun. Another year of taunts and bullying. "Aren't you going to say anything? You're supposed to speak when spoken too," Pettigrew laughs. Then I'm punched right in the stomach by James. The Marauders laugh as I fall to the ground. Sirius comes over and kicks me, and I have no doubt it will bruise. They continue to hit and kick me, listening to my cries. "Come join in Moony!" Black yells. From what I can see of his face, Remus appears to be hesitating. "Is she even worth our time? The trolley is right outside," he finally says. The abuse stops, and the boys start to walk toward the door. "Don't think that this is the end Grey," Sirius says as I sit up, coughing. "I know better Black," I inform him. With a glare, the Marauders are gone.
    Towards the end of the train ride, Sev comes in. I must have new bruises, because he immediately says, "What happened?" I smile, although it's fake. "Nothing. I'm fine," I say in response. I know that he doesn't believe me, but he doesn't push it.
    At Hogwarts, I nervously try to find a place to sit at the Gryffindor table. Unsurprisingly, nobody wants me to sit beside them. There only seems to be one open seat. Right beside Sirius Black. McGonagall is starting to glare at me, so I quickly sit down. "Oh look, it's the crybaby!" James says. "What a sorry excuse for a witch!" Sirius taunts. "You're so fat, your patronus is a cake!" Peter says. They all look at Remus, expecting him to say something. He seems to be engrossed in a book however, not paying attention. "Wow you're so funny," I say sarcastically as the feast begins.
    I take some food onto my plate, immediately being made fun of. "Are you really going to eat all of that? I guess it doesn't matter though, you already weigh more than the four of us combined," Sirius says. James laughs, along with Peter. Lupin is still engrossed in his book. "Leave me alone," I say, rolling my eyes. "What did you say?" James says. "Leave. Me. Alone," I hiss. The boys burst into laughter, mocking my voice.
    I get up from the table and start making my way to the common room, ignoring the roaring laughter behind me. I'd asked a prefect for the password before coming up, but apparently they've given me the wrong one.
    "Boggart," I say to the fat lady. "That's not correct," she replies. "What do you mean it's not correct? I got it from a prefect!" I exclaim. She shrugs her painted shoulders. "Sorry."
    I sink down against the wall, knowing I have a while before the rest of my house will come. I rest my head on my knees, and then I hear something. I look up to see that the fat lady has opened the door. "Go on in," she tells me. "Thank you!" I reply before climbing in and heading to my room, prepared for a dreadful year.