| Lost In Sensation |

"On top of that, I am here to break some unfortunate, depressing news." Bob Cutlass spoke through the radio. "The racing sensation The Hudson Hornet, commonly known as 'Doc Hudson', has recently just passed away due to aging engine failure!"

"Aw that's certainly a shame." Darrel Cartrip replied. "He really was quite the racer this world has ever seen."

"Indeed he was, Darrel. The town he had settled in, known as 'Radiator Springs', have promised to keep his legacy and lessons still going on through generations but who knows how long that'll last."

"I especially wonder how this will impact rookie sensation Lightning McQueen."

"Well, Darrel, he's not really a rookie anymore. Pretty soon he'll take the title of veteran racer and watch next generations steal his spotlight."

The race car shuddered.

"You're right, Bob. But who's to think that Lightning will go down the same way Doc did?"

"I'm not saying he'll end in a crash, but pretty soon his career will come to an-"

"That's enough." Lighting shut off the radio and sighed. They were right. Recently, Doc had passed and so did Lightning's spirit. With him gone, Lightning felt nothing but emptiness.

He didn't know how to go on. Both with racing and life. Before he came to this town— he was a cocky, self centered, jerk. They all taught him lessons, especially Doc.

He feared that without him, he would be able to reform back into his old self. His lessons weren't even finished. Sure, the town would be there to help, but would they really understand?

He was inside Doc's old shed, examining the posters, piston cups, and other items of gratitude and fame. Lighting even thought that he was a better teacher then a racer. He impacted him so much. He was like the father he never had.

Lightning thought for a moment. What those two said. Saying that his legacy and lessons might not carry on in life. He felt a little spark of anger surge through him.

Wrong.

Lightning we'll keep it going along with his career. He knows he can't do this forever, but he must make the best of it before it fades into history. They all mean the something.

Especially that one lesson.

The one lesson where Doc told him what to do with his number. When he passes, he'll want someone else to have it. Lightning did feel a little upset telling him that he shouldn't claim his number, but he remembered that one thing he said:

"You've already got your own. You don't wanna lose yours early. Rookie, they'll be a time when you'll begin to lose your spot on the race track, like mine. I'm not saying you'll end in a crash, but eventually the rookies will take over and you'll have to settle down."

Lightning finally understood what he meant. He felt stupid not realizing before. He himself is a star racer that'll go down in history. Giving up his number might also give up his legacy. Doc wanted him to keep it so he could still let the sun shine on it and not someone else.

He stared at one of the posters. The number 57 on him. Lightning nodded. "I'll find someone. I don't know when, but I'll give someone who truly deserves that number."

Doc wouldn't have wanted Lightning to give up so early and weak. He promised to keep going and that's what he'll do. Lightning took a look at himself in a nearby mirror. He smiled. "I'm not giving up so easily." He started to make his way out of the shed. "This ones for you, Doc."

Ok, I know this ones extremely short blaaaaaa I'm sorry. But I wanted to capture the real mark that Doc left on this cutie. Also, him giving away Doc's number is a little nod to Cruz btw. If you enjoyed, then yay! Thanks for reading!

-TheSwiftKat