God Is Real

You may have all looked at this title and thought that you should come on here and spam up the comments with reasons why my theory is wrong. But, please, sit back and listen while I tell you my story. It’s rather long, so I hope you’re willing to listen. Even if you don’t believe in God and never will, please stay. I want you all to hear this. It might give you a peace of mind.

          I’ll start at the beginning.

          This all began with a child who barely EVER went to church, didn’t pray, didn’t read the bible, didn’t practice her beliefs, and yet still held onto her religion. This religion was Catholic. In other words, Christian. And, yes, this child was me, Desiree. I think I can guess what you’re all thinking. “Man this girl is crazy! She believes in something as silly as God? Ha! I bet the Catholics have all brainwashed her!”

          Actually, no.

          Allow me to Explain.

          I loved the idea of God. I loved the idea that there was a greater being out there. But, being the silly girl I was, my mind had other plans. As I got older, my belief started to fade. In sixth grade, I went to Religious Education. I mean, come on, we all thought at one point that knowledge of God would get us into Heaven, right? We all thought that knowledge would make us believe. Did I get that correct? Forgive me if I didn’t.

          However, no matter what I did, I couldn’t fit it all into my head. My mind didn’t pick it up, and I was at a loss. This thought came into my mind: “why try? I’m at a point where there’s no way I’ll ever go to Heaven.”

          And I truly believed that.

          One day, I came up with this brilliant plan! I thought, “if I can get first communion, then I’ll be closer to God, which means I can go to Heaven!” So, I went through special one-on-one classes with one of the ladies at the church. She was really nice, and taught me all she could about God. At least, enough for my to get through my First Communion.

          Even after my First Communion was over with, I felt incomplete. I didn’t feel the devotion and belief I was expecting. At this point, I was lost again.

          Do you know what I did?

          Well, I turned to the idea of being Atheist!

          Goodness, I was so enthusiastic! I thought, “Well, I don’t need God anyways! I don’t need him in order to live my life!”

          Stupid girl!

          My life was a living hell! I constantly blamed bad luck and never turned my eyes on the very thing I was missing. The missing piece to the puzzle wasn’t in my doomed life!

          But, I didn’t realize it.

          Recently, I spilled it all to my friend, Grace. I told her how much I feared death, and how much I was frustrated that my mind couldn’t grasp the concept of God! I wanted to believe in God! I wanted to believe that there was a Heaven, and that I’d go there if I followed God’s ways.

          It frustrated me that while I could grasp the concept of vampires, werewolves, witch, and other supernatural, I could not grasp the belief or concept of God!

          I was missing the entire point, for goodness sakes!

          I was wrong the entire time, from the moment I laid eyes on the idea! What really set me straight, was what my friend, Grace, said to me.

          Now, I know you’ve all heard this one before, but listen carefully.

          Grace asked me:

          “Can you see air?”

          I replied with a simple no.

          “Do you believe that air exists?”

          This time, I said a simple yes.

          “Now, let me ask you this. Do you see love?”

          I said “no, of course not! But, you can see it in the actions of other people.”

“Yet, you believe that love is real?”

“Well, of course I do!”

Grace simply went on to another thought.

She spoke again, asking:

“Have you heard the story about the blind boy?”

I said no.

So, for any of you who don’t know, this is how the story goes.

          There was a woman sitting on a bench. Suddenly, a blind boy came and gave her a weed. The woman was astonished. The boy insisted that what he's holding is a beautiful flower, yet the woman just laughed at the boy. The boy went off and placed the weed in the hand of the woman. Due to curiosity, the woman smelled the weed, and she found out that the smell is like the smell of a rose.

          After Grace told me the story, I thoroughly understood what she was trying to say.

          These small things changed my life, and I could never be happier. I finally took a long, deep breath, and enjoyed life. I enjoyed being able to believe that God is real, even if I can’t see him. This belief may not get me to Heaven, but at least I had something to look forward to. Besides, who wants to believe that there’s nothing after death? Some do believe that. Some believe that you are reincarnated. But, where’s the fun in that? Never knowing who you were in the beginning. Becoming something other than the very person you were before. Isn’t that devastating?

          Please, give this some thought, even a moment.

          Because, in all honesty, I love God.

          God changed my life.

          And I’d be nowhere without Him in my life.