Sometimes it was hard to remember that it was always dark. Everything was artificially lit all day. In the early days, long before she was born, there were large fires that surrounded towns and candles that lined the walls of homes. In the beginning they were all very afraid of the darkness. Over time scientists came and brought with them their electricity. It was a strange and wonderful thing that lit towns and villages so brightly and it made people forget that it was always night. Kiayani never understood what made the electricity work but was grateful for it all the same. Without it she could not read her books. She had heard rumours of other lands beyond the Kingdom of Dayrius where light shone during the day.

After another hour of reading Kiayani opened the picnic hamper that sat on the shelf above Irima, who was still sleeping deeply. She took out a little bundle of food that contained a sandwich and an apple. She ate quietly and slowly, hungrily, having not eaten any lunch. She thought of waking the old woman but she looked far too peaceful. She packed the rubbish away while eating her apple. The flesh was tangy and crisp and she couldn’t help but lick the juice from her fingers when she had finished. She opened the window and flung the core out. She was just about to pull the glass shut when she thought she saw something in the trees.

Kiayani stared out into the forest beyond the reach of the lamps marking the road. She couldn’t see anything. Perhaps it was a demon, running faster than the wind could blow? Or maybe it was some other kind of terrible monster. In one of her books the main character hunted demons with a blade made of enchanted steel. He ran through the trees like an animal and struck harder than a wild boar. How she would love to live a life of adventure and danger like that. The freedom would be exhilarating.

The thought filled her mind as she closed the window; what would it be like to live amongst the trees and be free like the demon hunter from her book. She pictured herself swinging from the branches and running wildly through the undergrowth. It was a satisfying image and the thought inspired her. How easy would it be for her to slip out of the carriage and just run and join the trees? Kiayani pushed her hair behind her ears in a sweeping motion and rubbed her hands on her trousers. Shutting her book and pulling her bag toward her Kiayani had a plan forming in her mind- a wild plan. Irima, her servant was still sleeping, she wouldn’t notice anything. She shoved the book in her bag along a spare set of clothes, a torch, a water skin which was filled pulled from the inside of her trunk on the shelf above her head and some food (which was pinched from Irima’s bag). She had the bag on her lap and was swinging it on to her shoulders when the carriage lurched to a stop and the lights went out. Irima woke suddenly, “What’s going on? Why are the lights out?” She snapped.

“I don’t know,” replied Kiayani, her body stiffening. 

She pushed herself closer to the door- now would be a perfect time to run; even though Irima was awake she would not see where she had gone. Then there was a rap on the door and it opened, a little light from the street lamps poured in. It was Mr Tomas, the coach driver. He peered in with his round face.

“Don’t be alarmed ladies, a fuse just blew,” he said in his slightly squeaky voice, “I’m going to ride old Merri down the road and ask for a toolbox, I seem to have misplaced mine. I’ll be back soon.”

“Good sir,” said Irima in her gravelly voice.

Kiayani froze in her seat as the door swung shut. How long would he take? Would Irima go back to sleep in the time he took to fetch a toolbox? Blood pounded in her ears. The urge to flee filled her body but she knew that Irima, now wide awake, would notice the door opening. She would have to sit it out.

The idea of running away excited her and she felt as though it had been her intention all along. She could become free this way and wouldn’t have to marry some snobbish nobleman in the city after all. Luck was in her favour as Irima decided to go back to sleep rather than wait for Mr Tomas to return. Within five minutes the old woman’s soft snores filled the carriage. Quietly and cautiously Kiayani inched the door open. She slipped through and shut it carefully behind her. Without giving the carriage a second glance she walked towards the tree line. She felt as though invisible shackles were being removed from her arms and legs, it felt exhilarating. Soon enough she was running through the trees, but the sprint did not last long as her body was cramped from being in the carriage so she slowed back down to a walk. Kiayani had only walked a few paces when her foot caught on something imbedded in the ground. She cried out as she fell and hit the earth hard. She sat up stunned, pulled her torch out of her bag and flicked on the light. It was just a tree root.

After brushing herself off she continued on her way, not exactly sure what she was looking for but sure she would know when she found it.

She kept the torch in her hand so that she would have a better chance of identifying roots through the undergrowth.

Kiayani stumbled along through the forest cursing herself for her stupidity. Her torch hadn’t lasted that long and she hadn’t remembered extra batteries of all things. She was all alone, wandering in what were probably circles. She was also afraid of monsters lurking in the trees. Her best hope now was to try and walk in a straight line in order to get out of the forest alive.

She walked for hours, feeling tireder and hungrier after every minute ticked by. Her eyes had been adjusted to the dark for quite some time but it did not comfort her. She saw monsters where there were shadows.

Kiayani decided to take a break when her watch told her it was 7 o’clock. She sat down beneath a tree. Her eyes wandered and she noticed a small bundle of fruits lying on the ground. The sight made her stomach rumble and without hesitation she jumped up and ran over to it. Only then did she realise her mistake.

~~*~~