Chapter 6

Chapter 6

The old woman was standing up next to the spirit who had come to her.

“I cannot see,” he said, searching aimlessly, “where is the soul.”

“Here,” said the woman. She took his hand and channelled the image of the soul moving quickly through the forest.

“Indeed,” said the spirit, “It is true.”

They let go of each other’s hands slowly. The woman sank back down to the ground frowning. It was a child who possessed the soul. It struck her as odd, she had seen that soul many years ago, much longer than the child had been alive. Determined not to lose sight of her the wise woman remained focused on the running girl with the long black hair. But where was she going? There was nothing but forest out there.

The next few hours the woman watched the girl wander in aimless circles. The time passed like a blink of an eyelid for her however. Then at last she girl stopped for a moment. The wise woman could sense another presence in the woods. She quickly searched in her mind and she found a cluster of people, men most likely, wandering through the forest. The wise woman shifted back to the girl. Somehow she needed to help her without interfering too much. At this point in time it looked like she was stuck in the forest and would most likely not make it out on her own. She could not let that happen. She began mentally searching the area for something that might lead those men to the girl. The wise woman did not like having her to be rescued by them, but it was either that or she would die. Just as she was about to give up her sharp eyes caught on a thin piece of twine stretched between two trees.

With less than a batter of an eyelash she placed a bundle of food on the other side of the trip wire. She watched happily as the girl’s eyes spotted it and smiled when she ran towards it. Torn between sadness and amusement she watched the girl get flung into the air by the rope. She had no choice and this was the only way the girl could survive. The carrier of the extraordinary soul was strong enough to survive the most extreme of conditions.

She sat in anticipation for the next few hours. Knowing that the girl was safe, she kept an eye on the men who seemed to be avoiding going back to the trap they had once set. A couple of times she had to push them in the right direction, prompting them with tracks of animals to follow.

At last they came across the girl. She was now in safe hands. The woman gave a sigh of relief. She looked up at the spirit who had been standing their patiently the whole time, “She is safe.”

~~*~~