"You were right, Ash," Michael says as he takes a seat next to Luke on the couch. "Emilia hates it when you call her Emmie."

I love how annoyed she got when I decided calling her Emmie would be much cuter than Emilia. I waited for her to set the record straight and demand I call her Emilia, but she never did and I couldn't be happier about that.

"You watched her while she was helping Michael?" Luke finally comments on my previous response. All eyes are on me; disbelief and amusement sprawled on their faces.

"Seriously?" Michael asks, standing to turn on the Xbox before sitting down with his legs lying on Luke's lap.

My eyes flicker between the three boys momentarily before confessing. "Yes," I mumble. "I was on the second floor when I called her and snuck downstairs and hit behind some bookshelves while Mikey talked to her." They fall into a fit of laughter and I roll my eyes.

"You are so whipped," Calum teases.

"I'm not whipped. She's just a friend." I say in defense. It's easy to get along with Emmie and since we are partners for the communications project, it made sense to become even closer as friends. "I'm not looking for anything more than friends with Emmie," I admit.

All three glance at one another with concerned written across their faces, as if having a mental conversation between each other.

Luke speaks up, "Ash, it's been two years."

I know what he was talking about and I don't want to hear it. We've had this conversation several times before and quite frankly, I'm sick of it. Thankfully, my phone rings and I answer it quickly to end this conversation.

"Hello?" I say.

Rain trickles in the background on the other end of the line before Emmie's sweet, soft voice comes through. "Um, Ashton?" she says hesitantly. "I'm sorry if I'm bothering you, but I kind of need some help."

My grip tightens on the phone. "Emmie? What's wrong? Where are you?" Worry falls from my lips as I stand from the loveseat and pace around the room.

"I got out of work not too long ago, so I started walking home but then it started to rain really hard and normally Julia picks me up when it rains but she's stuck at work and now and I'm sitting under a bus stop waiting for the rain to let up but I don't think it is and I just realized that I forgot the key to my apartment and now I don't know where to go," she explains in a breathless rant.

"Emilia, where are you?" I try to keep my voice as calm as possible as I scurry upstairs to my room, earning a few confused stares as I pass the guys, and grab the first jacket I see in my closet before running downstairs and slipping into my boots.

"I'm at the bus stop near the intersection of Evans Avenue and South Clayton," she says.

"I'll be right there, don't move. You can stay at my place until Julia gets off work."

"Are your friends there?" she asks with curiosity, completely forgetting about the situation she's in.

"Yeah, is that okay?"

There's a moment of silence before she replies. "Don't make them call me Emmie when I get there," she orders, a soft giggle filling my ear.

I humorously agree and tell her goodbye. Looking over at my three roommates, their faces all wear the same confused expression.

"I guess she's ready."

______

Before I left the house, Luke made Calum and Michael help clean up the house to make a good impression for Emmie. They were acting like parents who were finally getting to meet their daughter's fiancé. I'm just hoping none of them scare her off.

With some difficulty, I finally find Emmie at the bus stop. I park along the curb, turned on the hazards and quickly run out into the rain with my jacket in hand. Stepping under the frame that shields Emmie from the downpour, I witness her body shivering violently as she sits on the bench. Without saying a word, she jumps to her feet and wraps her arm around my torso, pressing her face against my chest. I'm shocked by her actions to say the least but collect myself and complete the embrace.

Almost forgetting where we are, I pull away and drape my jacket over her head and shoulders, taking her hand in mine, and guiding her to the car. She squeals when she accidentally steps into a puddle, tripping and catching herself on my now soaked shirt. It's adorable. I help her into the passenger seat before circling around to the driver's seat and starting the car.

"Thank you for picking me up," she says softly, almost inaudible.

I shake the water out of my hair, droplets flying everywhere, causing Emmie to laugh and playfully hit my shoulder to stop.

My lips curve up. "Anytime. That's what friends are for." She smiles appreciatively.

Driving in the rain is probably my least favorite thing to do. Especially in rain that makes it nearly impossible to see even with the windshield wipers of max speed. Emmie senses my uneasiness and asks if I'm okay, pointing at my whitening knuckles gripping the wheel.

"I'm fine. I just don't like driving in the rain that much." Her face falls with guilt. "That, and I'm still trying to get used to driving here in the states. I don't understand how you Americans can drive on the right side of the road instead of the left," I joke.

Her demeanor lightens and she laughed. As I drive, she tells me about how Finn made her work the front desk after I left since she seemed to be 'distracted' while putting the books away. I apologize, but she brushes it off and says it was actually exciting to get it trouble for once.

"Look at you, you rebel," I tease.

"I know. Who knows—maybe I'll take a book from the library tomorrow without checking it out," she says, trying to sound like it's the most evil crime a person can commit. I just smile and shake my head in amusement.

I parked my Corolla behind Calum's truck. As I am about to step out to open Emmie's door, she beats me to it and bolts straight towards the front door. I follow behind and unlocked the door, holding it open as she steps inside. I take the jacket from her shoulders and place in on the coat rack standing in the entryway. Her eyes wandered, taking everything in as she examines the foreign home.

"So, this is your place?"

"Yep," I answer.

She doesn't say anything else; she keeps walking, taking her shoes off where the tile floors of the entryway meet with the hardwood of the living room. As if on cue, three pairs of feet come running down the stairs and into the living room where Emmie is currently investigating the row of guitars on a stand. Emmie's head snaps towards the guys' and her startled expression doesn't fail to make us all laugh.

"It's nice to finally meet you Emilia," Luke steps forward, extending his hand out. "I'm Luke." Without hesitation she takes his hand and firmly shakes it.

Calum takes a step next in line and introduces himself. "I'm Calum."

She smiles at both of the boys in front of her and acknowledges Michael behind them, giving him a small wave. "It's nice to meet you two. And it's been a while, Michael," she jokes.

"Would you like to take a shower?" Luke offers. "You're soaking wet and we don't want you to get sick."

She glances over to me for reassurance and I nod. I'd rather not be responsible for her getting sick. And it would be completely rude and insensitive if we didn't offer.

"Come on," I say, waving her over. "Let me get you some clothes to change into." I guide her upstairs and inside my bedroom to grab a pair of sweatpants and a random t-shirt.

"Your friends are nice," she says.

"Too nice if you ask me," I joke, a giggle escaping her lips. I lead her across the hall to the bathroom before going back downstairs to meet with the boys in the kitchen.

"Emilia's cute," Luke says, nudging my shoulder. "I can see why you hang out with her so much."

"She's just a friend, Luke," I remind. She's just a friend, Ashton, I tell myself. Just a friend.