PROMPT 13 | Recipe of Fate

The golden leaves were swept away by constant rains which were now infrequent

The golden leaves were swept away by constant rains which were now infrequent. The tincture of earthiness still lingered in the atmosphere. Yes. The fall was departing and it was Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving, a festival to spend time with our close friends and family, showering them with gratitude. This was the day I would be cursing god for separating me from my family but this year the scenario was different. After four years of lonely thanksgiving dinners I finally had someone to spend my thanksgiving with.

The thought of a happy dinner excited me and despite Kevin's constant objections I was trying to cook a big thanksgiving dinner. Considering my past experiences with cooking my gut told me it's not a good Idea yet there I was risking my life as well as his because I, Evanna Lockhart, never give up.

I put the potatoes on the pan to fry when suddenly my phone rang. Kevin was calling. Excited I picked up and greeted him with an energetic "Hi"

"Um.. Hi" he said with a low voice

"What happened Kev?" I asked worried.

"Nothing. It's just... Look I am really sorry but I can't come" he said.

"Why?" I asked desperately. The thought of another lonely thanksgiving horrified me.

"Actually my parents are back early so I have to have diner with them." he said. I grabbed my laptop and did a quick research.

Ha! Caught!

"They are not even in the country" I told him bluntly. The potatoes had now turned golden so I turned of the stove and let them dry.

"Wait. How do you know?" he asked me surprised.

"Something called facebook. You know to keep everyone updated about your whereabouts." I said sarcastically, "Now genuinely tell me whats the problem?"

"Look I really didn't mean to do this over the phone but since you asked...." he voice trailed down.

"WHAT?" I demanded him with a dangerous look. It was a pity that he couldn't see it.

"I think we should break up" he said and I could feel my blood boil

"Why?" I asked him. Wrong answer and he would be dead.

"Look don't take this personally but I want a serious relationship. We are in our mid twenties don't you think we should look for something permanent?" he said. I couldn't believe he was saying this.

"Kevin. We started dating a couple months back. You don't get a serious relationship at the tip of your fingers. We have to work it out together."

"Okay. Lets say we did work it out are you willing do all the household chores?" he asked me. I couldn't understand where this conversation was headed.

"I don't understand." I said confused.

"Geez Evanna." he said impatiently, "You can't even do basic household chores like cooking or laundry. My Ideal girlfriend should be able to do all such things. She should look after the house while I earn money for the family"