Chapter Seven: Collateral Damage

"What are you going to do with us." Brian's voice broke the silence. I turned to him, studying them both closely. The stood tighly together. Cowering between Sasha and Dan.

"What do you think Dylas?" I questioned raising an eyebrow at him.

"Kill them. Collateral damage." He announced flicking his hand and attempting to flip his hair.

"Please don't kill us." Charlotte pleaded quietly. I couldn't help but snort in laughter. I walked forward and grabbed the camera that Brian still carried around his neck. I turned it over examining it before crushing it swiftly between my hands with my heightened strength.

"We don't murder people." I growled softly. "We might be different then you humans but that doesn't make us monsters." I held their gaze. "We'll set you free and pay for the camera."

"But why, how do you know we won't tell your secret?" Charlotte questioned.  Cameron burst out laughing from somewhere behind me.

"Who do you thinks going to believe you, what are you going to tell people? That you met eight teenagers in the woods who can magically turn into animals and were talking to a giant bird?" Cameron asked between laughs. Charlotte blushed.

"They might believe us, anything is possible." She squeaked. Brian gave her a look that could only mean shut up. Theo raised an eyebrow at her and she sighed heavily. "You're right. They won't believe us. They never believe us." Charlotte muttered and turned heading for the woods. I sighed and jogged to catch up to her.

"I'm really sorry." I said to her. She glanced at me out of the corner of her eye.

"Do you know how hard it is? Having so many people laugh at you and call you crazy. Your own family call you crazy. I used to spend summers at my grandfather's farm when I was younger. I remember this one summer I was around your age, something that summer kept killing my grandfather's chickens. One of the hens had just had eggs hatch and I was afraid she was going to get killed or maybe her chicks would so I decided to camp out in the yard near the chicken coop to stop anything from coming in. At some point during the night the dog just started going crazy so I got up just in time to see a person running away across the grass.  Of course I chased them and I followed them into the woods at the edge of the property. That's where I lost track if them but I managed to glimpse out of the corner of my eye what looked like a dog. I remember I turned to call out because I thought it was my grandfather's dog but that's when I realized it was way to big to be a dog. It was a huge wolf. The funny thing was there were no wolves in the area and the authorities never did find the one that i'd seen. The attacks on the farms stopped after that. Everyone told me i had just seen some sort of dog that night but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't convince myself it was a dog. I met Brian not long after that and he told me all about how he believed supernatural creatures were real especially werewolves. That's when I started believing and I've been trying to prove it ever sense. Charlotte paused for a second and ran her hands through her hair. "You don't know how excited I'd been tonight when I thought we'd finally found the evidence to prove it. To prove the existence of supernatural creatures. To have people realize I'm not crazy."

We walked in silence for a few more moments. I felt bad for her. Having all those people laugh at you, brush off your opinions and stories as just that. Stories. It must be awful.

"You're going to tell me some cliché bull now aren't you about hiding who you are to protect yourselves from us humans aren't you? Even though you're clearly superior in ever way and could easily destroy us." Charlotte shot at me bitterly. I sighed and shook my head.

"Though you are right in assuming why we hide, I'm not going to tell you because I know it's not going to benefit you."

"Why do you say that anyway? You're clearly faster and stronger. You can turn into fricking animals for crying outloud, not to mention other creatures like that pheonix. You could easily best a human in a fight."