OPHELIA: CHAPTER ONE

Mathew will never forget his first love.
Ophelia Williams came into his life when he came into the world. Ophelia was his next door neighbor.

Mathew can't seem to forget her. And she can't seem to forget him. But it's not that easy.

It was a cloudy Sunday morning when Mathew came home from hockey practice and saw the for sale sign in her front yard. He didn't even go into his house or take his bag out of the trunk, he ran to Ophelia's.

"O! It's me, Mat! Are you home?" He asked after he flew open the front door. She was sitting on the couch in the TV room, watching some basketball game. Ophelia didn't watch TV, she just kept it on for noise.

"What's with the for sale sign in the yard?" He asked her and she shrugged. "Mama wants a smaller house. Figured after dad left us there was no point in her keeping this big house to herself." She said and he nodded.

Ophelia didn't like talking about her dad. He left them when Ophelia was 12 years old. He left a note saying to never contact him and they haven't seen him since.

Mathew knew better than to push her, so he didn't ask.

Exactly a month later, on March 22nd, Mathew was ready. He had been planning for months to tell Ophelia that he was in love with her.

He knocked on Ophelia's door and paced at the front door. It was pouring rain, but he didn't mind. He was ready to tell her how he felt.

"Who are you?" a young woman asked as she opened the door. "Who are you? I'm here for Ophelia." He told her and she gave him a confused look. "Oh, Ophelia Williams? We just moved into their house! It seems they've moved, New York I think the mom said?" Mathew froze. Ophelia told him she was moving to a smaller house, not New York.

"Oh, umm, I'll leave you alone now, bye." He ran into his house, closed the door and slid down the door. Tears fell down his face as he yelled out to no one in particular.

He had no idea why his best friend wouldn't tell him that she was moving to a whole new country.

As the rain fell from the sky, and the streets flooded, Mathew sat to himself, thinking about Ophelia.

"Oh Ophelia, you've been on my mind girl since the flood. Oh Ophelia, heaven help a fool who falls in love."