Up on Cripple Creek (Part 1) - Robbie Robertson 1

(A/N: I'm not sure if there's any other fans of The Band on here... but they're one of my all-time favourites... so here we go. I've divided this into parts spread across separate chapters.)

You stared out the window, sitting in wait like a cat by a mouse-hole. "You and that man!", your mother sneered, shooting you a rather disapproving look from the kitchen, where she stood stirring a pot absent-mindedly. You were about to make a remark, but the second that you turned back to the window, you saw an all too familiar figure approaching down the lane to your house. "He's here!", you shouted, running for the door. You turned the knob, feeling the cool breeze hit you, and waved over to Robbie. Your heart quickened as he gave you a little nod and began hurrying over. Your arms were already spread wide, and he fell into your embrace, holding you as if he hadn't seen you in years. It had seemed like forever since he last stopped by.

Robbie was a traveling man, and a few times each year he would happen to be close to your small hometown and would swing by to pay you a visit for a few days. You always tried to stretch them out and spend as much time with him as possible. Ever since that one fateful day you two met, the both of you had been inseparable. You always missed him whenever he had to go, but the truth was, as your mother had reminded you many, many times, that Robbie had a wife (and probably children) out there somewhere. It broke your heart to think about, but there was something irresistable about him. You couldn't help but adore him.

"Come in, come in!", you urged Robbie through the door and into his seat at the kitchen table. The food was already being served. Everybody made friendly small talk until the meal was over. After that, Robbie, having just been on such a big trip, was ready to rest. You walked with him to the guest bedroom where he was to stay. 

"How was the journey here?", you asked, sitting down on the soft bed beside him. "Well, not too bad, but it could've been better. Just some... difficult weather. Flooding... cold... the usual.", Robbie stated, seeming suddenly rather dejected. "Well, I'm glad you made it safely.", you finally spoke after some moments of quiet, not knowing what else to say. You smiled warmly before sharing a good-night kiss with your dear love and then heading off to your own room for the night.

(THE NEXT DAY)

You and Robbie were both up early, feeling refreshed. He seemed to be in a much better mood, fortunately. After having breakfast, he announced his plans for the day. "I'm feeling rather lucky this morning... how about we head on over to the racetrack?", he suggested. "Sounds great!", you grinned. He was, of course, referring to the horse races that were held each weekend a little bit into the town. 

Robbie immediately made his bet, feeling quite certain with his choice, and you took out yours on a different horse. You didn't really care about winning any money. After making your bets, the both of you headed to the stands and sat down where you could catch a good glimpse of the action. Robbie seemed very excited, and you clung to his arm the whole time.

At last, it came down to the final minutes of the race. You could feel Robbie tensing in excitement. The horse he bet on was in the lead, beating the others out five to one. After the final lap was complete, the mare had indeed won! Robbie jumped up and cheered, prompting you to do the same, complete with a celebratory hug and kiss. Your boyfriend then collected his winnings, and he stopped behind the stands to sort it out.

"And... this is for you.", he mumbled, handing half of the money to you. "Oh, Robbie, I don't need any money.", you assured him. Despite you telling him this, he continued to insist that you take it, until you finally relented, begrudgingly taking the thin green papers into your hand. But then you were struck by an idea. After all, you didn't need this money, and apparently Robbie didn't either by the way he kept forcing it on you. You began to giggle as you tore the dollars into tiny pieces and tossed them right into his face!

At first, Robbie remained silent, as if he were in shock. You began to worry that you had upset him. It had been such a spur-of-the-moment reaction! One you didn't really put much thought into, evidently. However, after three minutes of utter silence, his face broke into a smile, and eventually, rampant laughter. Stuffing the remaining money into his pocket, Robbie wrapped his arm around your shoulders as you two skipped along back to your house in the warm sunlight.