Prologue

I moaned. My head felt like it was on fire. Ace, Glen, Max, and Ryan started to stir next to me.

"Where are we?" Ace ran his hand through his black hair.

Glen scooped up some of the dirt and tasted it. That still grossed me out; and judging by the reaction of the others, it bothered them too.

Glen smacked his lips a couple times like he was tasting fine wine. "Hmm, Paleozoic rock with a hint of Old Red Sandstone. My guess is the Forest of Dean."

I made an attempt at excavating the dirt from my blond hair. "How did we get here?" My head was still a bit foggy. 

"Don't you remember, Joe?" said Max. "The Games."

My eyes widened in recognition. "Right." The "Games." Someone had messed with the harmony of the Multiverse causing all the universes to begin smashing into each other. Since two bits of matter can't be in the same place at the same time (or same frequency), chaos erupted and the Mirror Wars began.

To control the commotion of matter jostling for the up-for-grabs space, a cosmic god-like being known as the Gamemaster bought Champions from all the universes to duke it out in a battle for survival. The winning Champions' universes would continue to exist while the others, not so much.

Suddenly the giant head of the Gamemaster appeared. He broadcasted his opening speech to all the contestants. "Welcome speculum bellatorem to Earth Prime, the realm of inspiration for all post-apocalyptic stories.

About six months ago, an event occurred that brought the end. In the six months since every post-apocalyptic scenario occurred. From the asteroid strike in China to the extraterrestrial invasion in Canada to the nuclear wastelands of Australia where they battle each other for water to the machine uprising in the United States.

But you lucky people get to play in the outbreak lands of Europe. A deadly disease ripped through the land turning those infected into...you guessed it, zombies. Your job is to survive—last man standing wins. And as usual, the losers will have their universe erased. So, enjoy."

I laughed. "We're superheroes," I said pointing to others. "Zombies are no problem."

Gamemaster smiled. "Not these. These are the Prime Zombies, the Immortui, not the watered down goofs used to entertain the masses."

I rolled my shoulders and cracked my neck. "Still, how tough can they be?"

Gamemaster nodded with his head. "Why don't you ask them?"

The group and I slowly turned. Coming through the trees, a group of rotting people approached; their flesh barely hanging on and bits of bones exposed. One raised his palm. Suddenly lightning struck a nearby tree, setting it ablaze. Blades slowly began to grow out of the wrists and knees of another.

"Oooh..." I said, nodding. "Super-zombies."

The zombies started picking up speed.

"Oh," interrupted the Gamemaster, "did I forget to mention that they feed on the Dark Energy that courses through your bodies?"

I faced the others. "Run."