Chapter 15 ~ Unexpected Party Turns

"Zabini? Why him, Max? He's in Slytherin, one of Malfoy's best mates. Plus, he's probably a Death Eater, too!"

"Don't freak out, Harry. We're not going to be seen together at the party. I've got this under control."

Harry sighed in defeat. "Alright."

*******

It was almost time for Slughorn's Christmas party and almost time to go back to the Burrow for the holidays as well. The day after the party was when I would leave Hogwarts with Harry, Ron, and Ginny. Hermione was planning to stay with her parents, so none of us would be seeing her.

I walked into the Great Hall and to the Gryffindor table for breakfast, sitting next to Harry. My plate was full of fruit and toast and some juice in my cup. Harry and Hermione looked at me sadly.

"Max, do you have a dress for tonight?" Hermione asked.

"I think I'm just gonna borrow one of Ginny's dresses," I told her.

"You should've gone with me to Hogsmeade to look for one," she pointed out.

"I had a bunch of homework, Hermione." It was true. I had to get it done before this party.

"Excuse me?" Nigel came up to us and looked at me. "Package for Maxine Potter."

My eyebrows raised in shock and confusion, but I reluctantly took the quill out of his hand, signed my name, and took the box from him. I smiled at him. "Thank you, Nigel." He walked away as I opened up the package and widened my eyes in shock. "It's a dress," I exclaimed.

"But who bought it?" Harry asked.

"No idea," I answered. "There's no note in here."

I was lying. I saw the note. When Harry and Hermione went back to talking, I quickly took the note out of the box and opened it.

Max,

Thought I owed you for being a jerk to you. I hope you can forgive me.

Draco

I looked up to the Slytherin table and saw him. We locked eyes but showed no emotion towards each other. I didn't know what reaction I should've shown to him. To show him that I was thankful for the dress, but at the same time, I was still mad at him for what he did.

I bet he felt the same way.

Merlin, it was like déjà vu all over again.

*******

"Max! Hurry up! The party is supposed to start soon!"

"Harry, stop rushing me! I'm almost done!"

I was putting the last touches of my makeup on and checking to see if I looked okay in the mirror. My hair was on the side, all curly and wavy and in place. It was a gold dress with sequins on it that came down to my knees. The dress was so beautiful. It wasn't my exact size, but I used my wand to alter it so it would fit me.

Since the dress was strapless, my shoulders were going to be cold the entire evening. I smoothed my dress out and took a deep breath, exiting out of the bathroom and going down to the Gryffindor Common Room.

I thought I knocked the breath out of Harry, my own brother. Because he was stunned when he saw me descending down the stairs. His mouth was open wide, stunned at my appearance.

"Max, you look beautiful," he said.

"Harry, stop lying. You don't have to say that just because I'm your twin," I chucked, walking up to him.