Chapter 25| A Leap of Faith

A bead of sweat rolled down your forehead as you just finished treating your last patient.

"Thank you for everything, Dr. (Y/L/N)! I can't begin to express how grateful we are to you. You're truly amazing." A young Balmeran woman said as she left your infirmary. 

You spent the last three hours tending to injured Balmerans following the Galra attack. Thanks to you, Allura was back on her feet again. It was extremely tiring to be the only medic on the team. You were responsible for making sure everyone stays alive. The castle had just left the Balmera. This was Team Voltron's first official mission and was a complete success. It seemed just like yesterday when you all first found the Blue Lion.

As you cleaned up your infirmary, there was a knock at the door. Keith leaned up against it with a smile. "Hey." He smiled.

"Hey. What's up?" You answered as you threw a cluster of bloody bandages in the garbage.

"Nothing. I just wanted to see what you're up to. Good job today, by the way. You really helped a lot of people."

"Thanks. So did you. You make a great Paladin." You paused. "Can I tell you something? I've been meaning to talk to someone about this."

"Yeah. Tell me. What's wrong?" Keith asked, taking a seat in front of you. His eyes were full of concern as he made direct eye contact.

"I know that I'm an important member of this team, but I honestly feel like the 8th wheel. Allura is the beloved Princess of a very old yet advanced planet. She's a natural-born leader. Coran is a gorgeous man who has incredible knowledge about the universe. Shiro is the dependable leader who everyone looks up to. Hunk is an amazing engineer who is too pure and kind for this world. Pidge is a strong-willed girl, who is the most gifted and intelligent person I've ever met. Lance is the goofball, but he has great potential and sticks to what he believes in. And you, Keith, you're the person that I find the most important. You too are a natural-born leader. People just listen to you when you talk. You're stubborn and a hothead, but you're so smart and you're the best pilot of our generation. And I'm the dorky, witty, medic of the team. I'm not a Paladin. I'm not a Princess. I'm a co-pilot and I always will be." You admitted. 

"What are you saying, (Y/N)? Don't worry about who is what and what's everyone's role. This team would fall apart without you. You're the glue. You resolve conflicts and encourage us. You are the most gifted medic I've met. You have this kind heart that makes you a good medic. You may not be a Paladin or a Princess, but that doesn't matter. Those are nothing but titles. Yes, important titles, but titles. I love the fact that you are witty and dorky. You are extremely awkward, which I love and you're so funny. I love how you hate mornings. You have your distinct taste in music. You read, dance, and sing. All of that makes you, you. And everyone loves you for who you are. Especially me." Keith smiled as he kissed your cheek. 

You were taken aback by Keith words. It warmed your heart that he thought of you in that way. You leaned over and grabbed Keith by his jacket collar and pulled him into a kiss. He was shocked at first but then relaxed. 

"Team, please report to the bridge please," Shiro announced on the speakers. 

You and Keith separated. "Well. Duty calls." You giggled. "Heehee. I said 'duty'"

"You're a child."

"Oh, you love me!" You laughed.

You and Keith walked to the bridge of the ship. Everyone hovered over Pidge's computer when you entered the room. "Oooh. What are we looking at?" You said as you joined the crowd.

"We're looking through Sendak's memories. This way we can find more intel about Zarkon." Allura answered.

"I don't think your father would approve of you going through the memories of your enemies," Coran told her with concern.