The Concert

April 14th 1999

Dear Diary,

Today I'm going to a concert by guess who? Marshall Mathers. That's right he really made big. I'm happy for him though. -Ruby

"Ruby! Sweetheart! Your friend Amber is down here waiting for you!"

"I'm sorry! I'll be right there!" I yell.
I want to look perfect for this concert, I mean I always want to look perfect but this is different. I pull my dark brown hair into a high ponytail, finish a few small things on my makeup including putting on some crimson lipstick, then I put on my black boots, grab my purse and I'm ready to go.
I walk down stairs and tell my mom goodbye now I'm walking out to my friend Ambers car.

"Hey girl!" she exclaims happily.

"Hey Amber, you excited?"

"Duh, you know I love this guy."

"Yeah... yeah I do."

"What's wrong Ruby?"

"Nothing's wrong."

"Okay, I hope not because tonight is supposed to be fun."

Amber puts The Slim Shady LP CD into her cars CD player and the song The Real Slim Shady starts playing. We both sing along to the album until we get to the concert venue.

"All right we're here" Amber announces.

Amber parks her car and we make our way to our spot. Amber got us front row tickets and I'm feeling nervous. Although I am eager to see him perform.

We get settled in our places and the lights start to darken.

"Oh my gosh Ruby it's starting!" she squeals.

All of a sudden Marshall Mathers, or should I say Eminem, comes onto the stage and starts rapping. I can't help falling into a trance but as I look he makes eye contact with me. At least I think he did. I'm probably just imagining things.

"Oh my gosh Ruby, Eminem was totally looking at you" Amber whispers.

Nope. Not imagining things. Now I feel sick.

The concert finishes and we shove our way through the crowd so we can begin the walk to our car.

"That was so much fun, and Eminem totally thought you were hot."

"No I really don't think so" I mutter.

"Girl what is with your attitude?"

"Nothing, I just, I doubt he was paying any attention to me let alone thinking I'm hot."

"Excuse me miss" we hear a voice come behind us.

I turn around.

"Yeah, how can I help you?"

"You can come with me. Your friend can come too if she wants."

I look at this guy feeling shocked does he really except me to go with him? He's a stranger. I'm not getting abducted tonight this night's already been weird enough.

"Ummm... I think not" I turn away quickly and I start to run in the other direction with Amber.

"Wait! I'm one of Eminem's bodyguards!"

"What?" I ask stopping dead in my tracks.

Amber looks at me with a confused face I just shrug my shoulders. I'm just as confused as she is.

We slowly re approach the man.

"I'm sorry if I scared you, but Eminem asked me to find a girl that was sitting in the front row and I'm pretty sure you're the girl he wants to see."

I look to Amber for input. She nods.

"Let's do it."

The bodyguard leads us to a nightclub and let's us inside a VIP area.
Wow this is too real, I start to shake a little. Suddenly there he is right in front of me.

"Is this her?"

He looks at me eyeing me up and down.

"Yeah it's her."

My heart is pounding he knows who I am.

"So what's your name?" he asks.

"Ummm... it's R- r-ruby."

"Yo, you don't gotta to be nervous I'm not gonna be an asshole to you" he says cracking a smile.

"Okay" I reply softly.

Me and Amber sit down on a couch next to him.

"What's your friend's name?"

"That's Amber, she's a big fan."

"What about you?" he asks looking at me intently.

"What do you mean?"

"Are you a big fan?"

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to answer him.

"Well I think you're music is pretty good."

"Just good, there's nothing else you could've said?"

I start to get fearful but then he bursts out laughing.

"Don't worry about it I was just screwing with you."

"Oh" I say letting out a sigh of relief.

I think the tension has been lifted for now.

We party and talk for a while longer, but then I end it. I've got work tomorrow, that's my excuse.

I start to get up to leave.

"Wait" Marshall says.

"What's up?"

"I want to see you again."

My heart drops.

I smile.
"sounds great here's my number" I write it down on a piece of paper for him.

"Before I go can ask you something?"

"Uh, sure."

"Why me?"

"What do you mean?"

"Why did you pick me out of that crowd?"

"Honestly, I thought you were really pretty. I'm glad I did bring you back though."

"Well thanks for tonight."

I wave goodbye and get into the car with Amber to go home.

April 14th, 1999

Tonight was the craziest night ever. I came in contact with Marshall Mathers as Eminem and he doesn't remember me at all in fact he called me pretty and I gave him my number.
The thing that makes it worse is that he actually was really nice. Things will work out he'll never know the truth, I'm starting fresh.