Chapter Sixty-Four

Start from the beginning

       Yet, even after spending a summer with the bushy-haired woman, Calypso still hadn't gotten used to when she would randomly tell her prophecies, some of which Calypso wasn't sure if they had come true.

         "I'm not expecting anyone today." Calypso frowned slightly.

         "I know, but this person has been desperate to speak to you for quite some time now." Trelawney said before reaching into her bag and pulling out the crystal ball she always seemed to carry around with her. Calypso's mother had never needed to use a crystal ball to see into the future, but Sybil thought it would help Calypso handle her powers better. "Have the voices spoken to you today?"

          "No," Calypso sighed. It had been the same answer for the past few meetings now. The voices in her head that she acquired after being kidnapped by her grandmother and Voldemort had quieted, as well as Voldemort's rebellion. There had been no reports of deaths at the hands of Death Eaters at all this summer since Marlene's mother revealed Rhea's true nature to the wizarding world in a piece that had been widely distributed and published. Rhea Krane — who had dedicated much of her life to the Ministry and had become the most famed Hit Witch in wizarding history — had been Voldemort's right hand the whole time, the Dark Lord and Lady. Lily had written and told Calypso that there were many who didn't believe it and assumed Marlene's mother was merely trying to slander her name. They would send Mrs. Mckinnon thinly-veiled threats in the mail, although Marlene tried to burn the ones she found first. Calypso wondered if the silence of the voices had something to do with Rhea and Voldemort's disappearances, but she couldn't be sure.

          "They will, you just have to listen." Sybil reassured her with the same sentiment she always did when Calypso told her she hadn't heard the dead talking to her. "Look into the crystal ball and what do you see?"

           Calypso leaned forward in her seat so that she was nearly eye-level with the purple crystal ball placed in the middle of the table between them. She could make out whisps of smoke that curled as it moved throughout the ball and Calypso took a deep breath, centering herself. Her mother had gotten visions as though it was as easy as breathing and even Ophelia had been able to make visions appear to her on command, but Calypso's always needed an extra push. The only good thing that came out of being with her grandmother and Voldemort was that it no longer brought her agonizing pain to have visions.

            "I see . . ." Calypso squinted, doing her best to focus and channel her energy into peering into the smoke. An image began to emerge, faint and blurry, but Calypso didn't take her eyes off of it. As the vision moved into focus, Calypso frowned when she began to see Cordelia Rosier's face staring at her, a grim look on her face. This wasn't the first time Calypso had had a vision of Cordelia and she didn't understand why it was her that she kept seeing. "I see Cordelia Rosier."

          "A friend of yours?" Sybil asked. She had a distant, far off look in her eye that she normally had when she was using the Sight.

          "Once." Calypso sunk into her chair as she thought about a possible explanation for why she kept having visions of Cordelia looking at her with a sad expression on her face. She pushed that idea to the back of her mind before it had a chance to flourish. That wasn't something she needed nor wanted to worry herself over. Not yet anyway. "Cordelia's on You-Know-Who's side now. She and I have hardly spoken. If anything, I've always been more concerned about her brother and what he could do than Cordelia. Cordelia never voiced views of blood supremacy to me, so I imagine her joining the Death Eaters wasn't entirely her idea."

         "Perhaps not, but that doesn't make her any less dangerous than the rest of them." Sybil said, shifting uncomfortably in her chair, bringing a frown to Calypso's face. "The visions always mean something, even if it doesn't seem clear on what the meaning is. Your visions and those voices in your head are trying to protect you. That's why it's so important for you to master your skill."