The judgment dragon stands up on her pedestal and uses her sharp claws to prick a spot in the middle of our hands. She wraps her tail around Storm's wrist. Once, twice and then licks his palm. The small pinprick heals and the dragon removes her tail to reveal a new mark of a dragon's tail wrapped around his wrist. The mark stays white for a second before fading to the same black, grey and blue colors that mark him as a tempest dragon rider.

 The mark stays white for a second before fading to the same black, grey and blue colors that mark him as a tempest dragon rider

Now it's my turn. The judgment dragon turns to me and looks deep into my eyes. Her tail wraps around my wrist. Once, twice, three times? It's only supposed to wrap around twice, why do I get three loops? The judgment dragon, seeing the confusion in my eyes, narrows hers in a way that makes me think of a child who tells you they know a secret but won't tell you what the secret is. What could she be hiding in that pretty pearly white head of hers?

Never breaking eye contact, she maintains her mysterious gaze as she licks my wound and a mark with three loops forms on my wrist. Shaking off my suspicion I tear my gaze away from her eyes and look down at my new mark. It changes from white to a light sky blue with the streaks of white. My mark as a wind dragon rider.

I look over to Storm and the other two riders

I look over to Storm and the other two riders. Storm looks as confused as the two riders look surprised. What do they know about this extra loop that Storm and I don't? The Kaveva rider is the first to recover. They clear their throat, clap their hands, and offer us a smile as they turn to address the crowd.

"This marks the end of the riders ceremony. Please continue to enjoy the festivities or return home. Would the families of Storm and... uh," she paused. "What was your name?" She whispered to me. "Silvia." I whispered back "Right. Would the families of Storm and Silvia please come to the stage."

I can't help but giggle a little bit at the sheepish look they send my way. "Sorry about that. I couldn't remember if you told me your name or not. I would rather look forgetful in front of everyone than call you by the wrong name." She offers me a friendly handshake along with a big grin. "My name is Akara and this is my friend Kali."

"It's nice to meet you both," I say shaking Kali's hand and returning their smiles with one of my own. "These are our dragons-" Akara starts but I cut her off. "Anvar and Nightshade right? Thanks for helping me earlier."