September 16, 2014

Start from the beginning

''No need for that, we won't sleep!'' Isak heard someone say as people laughed at the comment.

''That's what were are going to see Mr. Iversen. After putting your things away, I want you to come join us in the auditorium where the first game of the night will be announced. Enjoy!''

Kids pushed their way in as soon as the speech was over. Cheering and laughing, they all headed to their locker before sprinting towards the auditorium.

''Walking, young man!'' A teacher yelled at Jonas.

''Oh come on, only for tonight, it's once in a life time,'' Jonas replied overdramatically, Isak laughing at his best friend's behaviour.

''Okay, okay go away now.''

6:33pm

''Okay everyone. Now that you are all here, it's time to reveal the first game of tonight's event. It's going to be a scare hunt around school. I know some of you may think it's going to be easy because you know this school like the back of your hand by now but there's a twist. All the lights are going to be closed and black outs where put on the windows so no light from outside could get in. The rules are tricky so listen closely. You are going to go around school in teams of two.''

At that, Isak smirked at his best friend. Jonas wiggled his eyebrows in answer.

''Each team will have to go and do different challenges that are set in different areas of the school. Each challenge will get you points and the team that gets the most points the quickest wins this game. ''

''That's going to be easy with both our genius brains'' Jonas joked quietly to Isak.

''But once again, there's a twist. In the hallways, older students are hiding. Their job is to scare you and let me tell you they did a pretty good job with the makeup. You must not talk or scream near these students if you want to stay in the game. Each one of has a flash-light. If they point it a you, you must stop moving immediately. If you move or make a noise while the light is on you, you are out. The students that get eliminated must come back here in the auditorium for 3 minutes before going back in the game. The partner that wasn't eliminated has to stay with the person that scarred their partner away until that said partner comes back. Are the rules clear?''

After a few clarifications on the rules, they were free to go. Each team started at a different place in the school with time intervals, so they could fully enjoy the game without bothering other teams.

''We are totally going to win this game.'' Isak high-fived Jonas as they were walking down the stairs to go to their designated hallway on the second floor. Both boys were confident in their capacities to succeed well in this challenge that seemed pretty easy to them.

As he opened the door that led to the said hallway, Isak realise it was pitch dark in there. Some of his confidence faded away as they began walking down the hallway side to side. Isak didn't like the idea of not seeing where he was going and he couldn't even see Jonas beside him.

Bumping into something (he was not quite sure what it was), the blonde boy let out a muffled groan afraid it might trigger the person in charge of scaring them.

Jonas laughed at his friend's clumsiness. ''Are you okay Isak?''

''Yeah, yeah just keep going.'' he said, trying to keep his pride.

Surprisingly, they made it to the first challenge without difficulty.

'' Hi boys, this challenge requires a lot of will power. I wouldn't do it myself, it's the most degusting thing ever '' the teacher in charge announced.

Isak looked at Jonas a little worried. Jonas being the confident lad he was said he could take the challenge.

''Perfect follow me then''

Jonas had to put his arm in a bucket filled with weird looking jelly (he knew it was probably only Jell-O with food coloring in it), take out something hard and then eat it. Without hesitation, he put his arm in, blindly looking for something hard. When he finally found one, he pulled it out and realised it was only a gummy warm. And he had thought he would do something that would impress his friends or something he could brag about it for the rest of the year. A bit bummed about how easy this challenge was, he got out of the classroom to get back to Isak.

As the game went on, they got scarred a few times but each time they managed to stay still and quiet. Some challenges were as easy as the first one while some others required them to actually think for a little bit.

After almost two hours of challenges and getting scarred every five seconds, both boys were a bit drained and hoped this game would end soon. They were happy with their score and pretty confident that they were in the lead. And, because the school wasn't that big, they were back in the initial hallway. Thinking they wouldn't get scarred like the first time they were in this hallway, both boys were slowly walking towards the next classroom.

Suddenly, a loud thud was heard to Isak's left. Both boys squealed like little girls holding on too each other tightly. Isak felt Jonas burry his face in the crook of his neck.

''Not so brave after all, '' he thought.

Isak began to move away for his friend before being blinded by a strong light. Slightly uncomfortable of being found by an older student in this position, he resisted the urge to pull away from Jonas knowing they would be out of the game if he did so. All his efforts to stay still led to nothing as his best friend let out a loud sneeze.

''Awwn, you where so close to the end, what a pity. Go back to the auditorium now, sneezer. Don't miss your friend too much,'' the flash-light older laughed.

Jonas looked up giving Isak an apologizing look before heading towards the staircase.

Still blinded by the light, Isak stood still not knowing what to do. A little panicked of being alone with someone he didn't know, he didn't hear when the older student told him to follow him. The hallway turning pitch black again made him snap out of his thoughts.

''Are you coming or what? '' the older boy asked again as he began walking away.

A little bit surprise by all of this, Isak looked around him before trying to catch up with the boy that was now walking ahead of him. They entered a classroom that was partly lighted by natural light peeking through the blinds. Isak could make out a little bit clearly the older boy. He was tall- like really tall – and slender. As he turned around again, Isak was struck by his piercing blue eyes. Even in the dim light they stood out. He found himself starring at them before the tall boy started to talk again.

''So, what's your name? '' he asked, smiling.

Isak stayed silent, afraid it might be a trick to get him out of the game.

''It's Isak, right?'' the older boy tried again.

A little confused, Isak took a closer look at him, not being able to make out who he was underneath all this makeup.

''Are you really shy or something?'' he continued. Then, the older the boy remembered the rules of this game: no talking to older students.

''Ahh, you can talk to me it's okay, I won't send you back to the auditorium, you know,'' he said laughing a bit.

''I... uhmm... yeah... Isak,.. that's my name I mean, '' Isak answered, wondering why he was acting like this. ''What's yours?'' he hesitantly asked.

Before the older boy could answer, Isak heard Jonas call after him in the hallway. Opening the door, he waved at his friend, so he could come and join him.

At that, the older student, a little bit bummed about not getting to talk to Isak more, got out of the classroom.

''It was nice talking to you, Isak, see you around,'' he said going back to his hiding stop.

Jonas looked between the between the two, a confused look on his face.

''Who's that dude?'' he asked.

Isak only shrugged in answer, knowing as much as his best friend about this mysterious guy with piercing blue eyes.