Looking Through the Window of the Past

Since the topic for the first round was to write a piece in a genre that best describes us as writers, I decided to write a story that’s sad and touches the heart. I believe that all authors have a story to share and that’s exactly what I have done through this entry. I also think that everything happens for a reason and that instead of letting our past haunt us, we should embrace it…

“Hold on to your memories forever….Because if you don’t, they will fade away.”

Memories. They take us back in time and make us relive those special moments in our lives that were spent laughing, crying and simply enjoying together. They hold a special place in our hearts and eventually help us in becoming who we are. Though most memories are cherished and remind us of happy times, some on the other hand, are not so pleasant. They remind us of those tragic moments that we wish to lock away in the back of our minds. Never to be found ever again.

Anandita walked into her house late Sunday evening after four strenuous hours of math tuition. Twelfth grade, the over-burdening homework assignments and the weekly-tests were taking a toll on her. She headed towards the kitchen with a glum expression. As soon as she entered, the heavenly smell of chicken tikka and biryani greeted her.

She nodded her head appreciatively and asked, “Is there any special celebration today?”

“Not a celebration. More like this unwanted presence in the house,” her usually jovial aunt muttered under her breath.

Anandita looked at her grandmother questioningly. Her grandmother simply shrugged and said, “You’ll find out soon honey.”

Sighing, Anandita walked out of the kitchen and towards her room on the first floor. She had been living with her aunt and grandmother ever since her mother had passed away five years ago. As for her father, well, Anandita never mentioned him. In all honesty, she hated him. She hated him for going away, causing so much pain and never once turning back to help fix the hearts of his family that he had so carelessly broken.

About an hour later, Anandita came out of the shower, all fresh and rejuvenated. Smiling to herself she entered the kitchen, anticipating a delicious meal. Just as she walked through the doorway, she stopped short, her eyes trained on the figure sitting on the dinner table. Her face showed her displeasure and anger. The person looked up and their eyes met for a moment. Recognition dawned on her features.

No way. This cannot be happening! Anandita thought, stepping back in disbelief.

Her father had come back.

Well, if he, even for one moment, thought that he could waltz into their lives just as easily as he had walked out of it, she would make sure it wouldn’t happen.

Anandita pulled her grandmother and aunt out of the kitchen, furious with their stupidity.

“Why on earth is my father, who, just to remind you, left us years ago, sitting outside?” she burst out.

Her grandmother tried to console her.

“He showed up on our doorstep about three hours ago, asking for a place to stay. We all make decisions that we are not proud of Anandita. Grow up. Its time we let the past be the past. After all, there is only so long you can hold a grudge for. Try thinking about it honey. “

What on earth was going on here? Couldn’t her grandmother hear herself? Anandita couldn’t contain her fury anymore.

She yelled at the top of her lungs,” He was never there when I needed him! And now he suddenly comes back! What, is my life like a bus stop for him? Come when you want, leave when- “

Anandita stopped abruptly when she heard her aunt say softly from behind.

“Your mother would have wanted this Anandita. It would have made her proud.”

…..

Anandita spent the next few days avoiding her house like the plague. She knew she wasn’t being sensible. She knew she was acting unreasonable and immature but she couldn’t help it. She couldn’t bring herself to accept the fact that her Dad was finally back. He had disappeared the day her mother had passed away and she had never ever seen him again. Until now.

Living in the same house as him made her feel like she was living with a stranger. And of course, seeing his face always brought back memories of her mother.

Images of that day still haunted Anandita. It had all happened so unexpectedly, though at the back of her head Anandita had known that it was coming. Her mom had been sick for a very long time. The doctors hadn’t given her much time.

Anandita remembered crying beside her mother when she was in the hospital. She remembered the way in which her mom had wiped away her tears. She thought of the way she had shook her mom, begging her to come back when it was too late. She remembered the pain and emptiness that had filled her heart after that day. And most importantly she recalled her mother’s last words,” Live your life with no regrets. Forgive. Laugh. Cry. Smile. Remember that even if you feel that the storm is too strong it will pass, and the sun will shine again. Keep me in your heart and know that I’ll always be there for you. Goodbye my child.”

Sitting outside her house, Anandita also remembered replying to her mother, the tears streaming down her face.

“ Goodbyes are the hardest thing to say, because they mean that you walk away only with memories.”

Memories...