“That's fine, I'm happy to help.”

Olivia grinned. “You won't be saying that in a few hours. You'll be looking for the nearest exit within two hours, trust me.”

“Don't freak me out, I'm trying to help you!”

“Sorry, just trying to prepare you. But don’t worry, you’re going to love the Gathering. I’m so excited Rylan is bringing you.”

“Why is it exciting?”

“Because!” Olivia’s eyes gleamed. “Humans are only invited to the Gathering if they have a strong attachment to someone in the family. Don’t you see what this means? Rylan is crazy into you!”

Norah’s heart leapt, but she kept her cool. “I think you might be reading too much into this. I mean, our relationship is still relatively new, and there’s still a lot of challenges we have to face.”

“Challenges?”

“Well,” Norah gripped the steering wheel tightly. “What about the whole, werewolf and human factor? What if he asks me to make the change?”

“You wouldn’t want to?”

“I don’t know, it’s a big decision…”

“Norah, you don’t have to become a werewolf to be with Rylan. He would never make you do something you wouldn’t want to do.”

They pulled up out the front of the Montoya home and Norah turned the engine off. “But it would make things easier if I did, right?”

Olivia remained silent and Norah had her answer. It would be easier.

She climbed out, surprised when Olivia didn't get out too. “Uh, Olivia?”

“I'm coming,” she whined. “I'm just preparing.” After taking two deep breaths, she hopped out and followed Norah inside.

The inside of the house was chaos. Cassie had full charge of the kitchen, every hot plate and cooking utensil seemed to be in use and already a large assortment of prepared meals filled the table in the dining room, ready to be packed and taken to the Gathering site. The smell of food was amazing, there was a combination of everything and Norah's mouth watered. Cassie looked just as frazzled as her daughter, but there was a tension about her that made Norah concerned.

“Oh good, you're here!” Cassie grabbed Olivia, practically throwing her into the dining room. “I need you to start taking some of these dishes down to the site. Annie is there setting up with some of the guys. Norah, can you help her? Once you guys are finished I'll get you to give me a hand with some of the furniture.”

Norah decided silence was the best answer, and she followed Olivia, grabbing what she could carry of the food and loaded the car. Once they were at capacity, they headed up the road, the site was deep in the forest but there was a walking track near the top of the hill that was easier to walk on with all the food.

Norah thought over their previous conversation as Olivia drove. She knew her feelings for Rylan were strong, not just because of everything they have been through together. She knew a relationship with him was long term, and she didn’t want to stuff it up. The ageing factor frightened her a little bit. She knew it shouldn’t matter, but she was scared if things got…serious serious, she would need to take that next step, and she didn’t know if she could do it. She didn’t wanted to grow older faster than her partner. It was a scary thought.

Norah shook her head, trying to dislodge the awful thoughts and glanced at Olivia. “Is your mom usually that stressed?”

Olivia shook her head. “It's a tough day for her. She's basically in charge of all the preparations and she likes everything to be perfect. Gran is usually here to help, but this year she's on her own.” Olivia's eyes reddened. “This is the first year our family has been separated like this, and also our first gathering since Daddy died.”