24.Preparations

Norah finished the last of her coffee, watching Olivia run around the cafe like a mad woman. She'd promised her she would wait around and drive her home to help prepare for tonight. Apparently the Gathering was a very big thing for them. The Mill had been closed for the day, and all the boys were out in the forest, doing perimeter checks and greeting the other packs which were arriving that day.

Rylan had left early that morning, he'd told her to be ready by six o'clock and he would come back to pick her up. She had no idea what she was meant to wear to this sort of thing. Was it fancy, semi-formal, or casual? She didn't want to look like an idiot in front of all those werewolves.

Olivia rushed over, grabbing her cup, her hair beginning to stick out on odd ends. “I'm sorry, Norah. I'll be five more minutes, I swear!”

“It’s okay,” Norah called as she ran off again. Norah wasn't the one in the rush. She knew Olivia was meant to have been home nearly an hour ago, but the cafe had been so busy and Olivia refused to leave Gail alone to deal with it all herself. The lunch rush was beginning to quiet and Norah gathered her books together, knowing she truly wouldn’t be much longer.

The front door opened and Charlie walked in. Spotting Norah he quickly came over. “Hey, have you seen Madison?”

Norah shook her head. “No, not today. Aren't you meant to be out helping the others in the forest?”

He nodded. “Yeah, but I came to get some stuff for Cassie –“

“And thought you'd stalk Madison while you were at it?”

He glared. “No, I just haven't seen her today and I was concerned. Normally she has lunch with Wendy today but she wasn't there.”

“Was Wendy concerned that she wasn't there?”

“No, but –“

“And isn't it this time of year that she goes to visit Parker's mother?” Norah remembered Madison mentioning it the other day.

He nodded. “Well, yeah –“

“Then perhaps she has headed off, don't you think?”

“But surely she would have told –“

“Charlie, she's a big girl, she can look after herself. She doesn't need to tell everyone every little thing she does. She'll be back soon, so don't worry and go and get Cassie what she sent you for. If she's anything like Olivia today, I can't imagine she is going to like being left waiting.”

Charlie nodded, still unappeased but he walked out, shoulders hunched. Poor boy, she thought. He needs to find another girl.

Olivia sat down beside her, bag in hand. “I'm ready!”

Norah took in her frazzled appearance. “Are you okay?”

She shook her head. “I freaking love the Gathering, but the lead up is such a bitch. Mom turns into such a cooking monster. I'm almost happy Gran isn't here this year. If she was, it would be ten times worse.”

They walked out to Norah's car and she mentioned Charlie. “Oh he is like this every year,” Olivia rolled her eyes. “I think he expects her to tell him every year or something, and when she doesn't he thinks the worst.”

“Poor Charlie.” They headed out of Bellvale and Norah asked Olivia about the dress code, making her laugh.

“Just wear whatever you feel comfortable in. It's going to be a warm night, even with the bonfire so I would say wear something light.”

Norah took mental notes. “Do you want me to help with anything today?”

Olivia grabbed her arm. “I would love it, if you could hang out for a few hours. Maybe if your there mom won't be so crazy.”