Chapter 1

This is my entry for the Midnight Sun challenge.
Shays POV
I can't help but look at myself in a new light. I always seem to judge myself a lot harsher now.
The accident had deprived me of being independent and actually having a chance at being normal.
I've always been the odd one out with striking red hair and chocolate brown eyes. My nose ring, my wheelchair, my oxygen tubes, my freckles, and most of all, my weight. I am hopelessly single with no chance of a boyfriend. I haven't returned to my senior year of high school because of the accident. But there is a guy named Rylan Crawford. I have had a crush on him since elementary school and in the amount of times that we have talked and we have always had an awkward encounter every time we see each other. But a guy like him would never like me. I look down to my left wrist and as I stare at the semicolon there I remember why I got the tattoo. For years I struggled with depression. I overcame it with the love and support from friends and family. I still do have my days where my depression comes back.

Rolling down the hallways of my first day back at high school after the accident, I can't help but notice all the people staring and turning around to their friends while still making eye contact with me. I spot a certain someone. Rylan. He looks up at me from his phone and we make eye contact. Then I snap back to reality and realize where I was. I look down at my lap and notice that he placed a note there without my noticing.
Meet me at the cove at 7, my number is XXX-XXX-XXXX -Rylan.
*After School*
I roll into my house and hastily tell my mom about her needing to drive me there. The school is close enough for me to just roll there. But the cove is another different story
*7*
After my mom drops my off I roll to where he said to meet him. He is there waiting for me and grinning. He asks if I want to lock in place and he said that he'll pick me up to place me on the blankets. As we munch on the snacks he brought, we make a conversation. Then the sun starts setting.

Rylan pulls me up to stand with him, holding me so I wont fall while being careful of my oxygen tank and tubes

Rylan pulls me up to stand with him, holding me so I wont fall while being careful of my oxygen tank and tubes. We make eye contact and I stop breathing even with the steady flow of oxygen from the tubes. I looked into his eyes and all I saw was passion and love. It was like he didn't care I was different. That I was in a wheelchair or that I depended on an oxygen machine to keep me alive. Our lips met and it is like an explosion of fireworks.