Chapter 37 Like an Infant

Start from the beginning

"Alright 'Mione. I can't say I'm happy where you landed your arse." Thank you Ronald, your opinion means so very fucking little to me right now. And I think I'm not alone because I hear numerous thumps and him cursing under his breath. "But I am here for you. And the kids. I don't like them living in the Manor, but Harry says it is fine so I'll believe him. I've got the kids while you get better. Okay 'Mione?" He's babbling, like I actually care. Which he gets an eye roll from me.

"Take that as she's saying 'I don't care'," Ginny answers. "Eye rolls are one of the first things she's mastered."

"OUT OF MY WAY WEASLEYS!" I hear George bellowing at his siblings. "Wheelchair coming through. Now if you want to see any improvement in the she-ferret and he-ferret, move your arses."

When the hell did I get the nickname of 'she-ferret'? When I get better, George is getting a piece of my mine. And not a happy piece. Something that might explode. Something he thinks is important.

But I feel a multitude of hands lifting me up out of the bed and into the chair before zipping down, and a really unsteadying pace, the hallways of the hospital. "Now I know Harry told you that ferret boy is bad. I ain't going to lie to you, he looks like shit. He looks like a dozen or so dementors had their go at him and then he was expected to play a quidditch match with only bludgers. Let's just say purple and yellow and green are not his best colors. Well at least not the sickly green... Slytherin green I am used to by now with him." I honestly don't mind his babbling. It is putting my mind at ease, thinking about him in his Slytherin robes in school. Why did I never really look at him like that before? "Here we are, safe and sound." He opens the door and I brace myself for the worst, even if it is a foggy version of the worst.

"Yo ferret. I have your girl here. Now I'll leave you alone, but I'll be back in about 10 minutes. You two can't get in trouble that fast now can you?" He lets out one of his infectious laughs, relaxing me slightly as he wheels my chair alongside Draco's bed. "Okay. See you then."

I think of everything I want to tell him as I work my arm up to his hand. I want to tell him I love him, I'm proud of him, he did well. I want to tell him that I will be here when he wakes up, and always. I want to say so much but all I get out is, "aaa-co". I hope that one sound combination has him knowing that I'm here and here for him.

"That's an improvement." I hear him croak out. "Hell all this is. You're sitting upright." His hand slips into mine. "Good thing you can't see me," I lift my fuzz filled eyes to his. "Shit, can you see me? I look like bloody hell. Don't take this wrong, but close your eyes." I do what he says, a small smirk on my lips. "Smirking huh? I bet your husband is happy with that." His laughter causes him pain, I feel his wincing in my hand. "I'm fine, don't worry about me. I'll heal. I've had worse." His fingers tighten around mine and I feel the electricity that I've missed so shooting up my arm and feeling like it is jump starting my heart again.

"So did Earless call you his new nickname? I don't know how I feel about she-ferret and he-ferret yet."

"No," I mutter the clearest I can.

"No you don't like it or no you hadn't heard it yet? Shit, this is hard. Blink once for you don't like it, grunt if you hadn't heard it."

I follow his instructions and blink. Yeah she-ferret sounds dumb, and reminiscent of what Draco called Ginny back in school - she-weasel.

"Good. I'll tell him no she or he ferrets. Now what tricks have you learned in my absence? I got the no, and I must say I'm impressed at your working on my name. From what I heard, it took me awhile to get it right as a kid. But after that I wouldn't shut up."

I reach out my free hand and grab his wrist tightly. "Good your hands are working, and your arms somewhat. Can you grab a wand yet." He gets an eye roll. "Does that mean no one's tried yet?"

"Esss"

"Dang! Another word. I'm impressed love. Plus you're sitting up. Can you move your legs yet? I know the healers were worried about that." I push my chair back with a jerk and wiggle my feet. "Great job. Do the rest of the family know this all?"

"No." Shit that sounded like a grunt instead of a well pronounced 'no'. I had been working so hard on it.

"I can't tell you how amazed I am. Really. Are you tired, you're looking tired."

"How do you know she's tired ferret boy?" George has returned. "And how did you get your chair so far away? Here let me help you she-ferret." I can tell by his intonation that he is getting way too excited over my new nickname.

"First," Draco interjects, "lose the ferrets. Neither of us are fond of the moniker. Second, she did it herself. She can move her legs more. Third, have her try and hold her wand. She is getting pretty good control over her hands."

"How the bloody hell did you get all that out of her in just this little time? The healers keep saying 'she's slipping from us' and they 'don't expect much of a recovery'." George sounds smug but still frustrated that I am not showing all the progress I have done to the family.

"Simple, I asked and she showed me. Maybe you should have the healers come in here and have her strut her stuff." I can tell in his voice that his arrogance is back, if he was well he'd be swaggering down the hallways. I love that cockyiness in him, it is ingrained in his personality and now that I am not on the vindictive side of it, I rather enjoy watching it. Well as much as I can see.

"Fine Malfoy, I'll get the healers now. You show them, Hermione. You show them that you aren't locked up in that big brain anymore." I hear the door open and close and realize how really far I did push myself away from the man I love. I work my feet to try and scoot up to his bed.

"Hey now, don't over do it. I know you can't stand to be away from me, but I don't want" he shut up when I glared at him and rolled my eyes. "Fine darling. Do what you want. I'm not going to stop you anyways. No one in their right mind would try and stop you once you have your mind set on something." Smart man. "Now we need to discuss how the hell we are breaking free of this place. And has Potter told you what went down? Do you know if my sperm donor is still walking?"

"Esss. No." I get out coherently and I must admit I am a little proud of myself in the process.

"Hey as long as we ask yes/no questions we can get answers. So if I ask, do you think I'm sexy?" He gets a glare plus eye roll. "Got it. Definitive yes. Now, how about these crappy sleeping arrangements. Want to move to something more comfortable."

"Eeeese." Seriously I hope that he got that I am trying to say 'please.'

"Got it. I'll do the talking, you do the showing off. Together we'll break this joint."

Now all I have to do is find a way to kiss this man.