Chapter Twelve: You Call This a Mistake? [unedited]

Start from the beginning

Not again!

"Oh, Mr. Malfoy. Well, then, problem solved!" He gives me a pat on the shoulder - is it just me, or is it a little sympathetic? - as he retreats, and I grimace.

Why does he always keep popping in on my life?

As the people around us start working, I wait for Malfoy to come over, but after several moments, it becomes apparent he's waiting for me to do the same. I shake my head, mouthing, 'here'.

He shakes his head back, sneering. We glare at each other for at least five minutes, both unwilling to move to the other's place. Stop being so stubborn! I'm certain my gaze is drilling a hole in his head, but he doesn't move.

Finally, Professor Slughorn says as he passes me to help students around the room, "Ms. Granger, Mr. Malfoy, you might want to start now. We only have a limited time, you know."

Slowly, like a sloth, Malfoy picks up his things. I do the same, mirroring him. Eventually, we both come to an agreement by moving to the middle of where our previous seats were. The moment we both sit down, I say, "I don't want you messing me up, so if we both agree not to bother each other, then.. I hope we'll get along fine."

"I know we won't," Malfoy mutters back.

"What did you say?" I say coolly, even though I hear him perfectly - last summer, I perfected a spell to give me better hearing and eyesight. I found it in one of the books Ginny gave me. After searching through countless pages on 'how to smooth your hair' and 'add a sparkle to your eye!' I finally found a useful spell. Not waiting for a reply, I snap, "I don't care what you think of me, but I fully intend on getting good grades. If you do anything to pull me down, you will regret it."

"You think I'm scared of a filthy little mudblood?" he sneers.

"Did I mention over the summer I learned how to transfigure a person into an animal?" I shout, standing up.

He stands up too, knocking his chair over. "Do you think I'm still frightened by that?" he yells back. "I've endured things you can't even think of, you little mudblood!"

"The amazing bouncing ferret," I say dramatically, placing a hand over my heart as I echo Ron's words from years ago.

"Shut up!" he yells. His pale face isn't red, but a deep shade of pink. I notice with my satisfaction that I've managed to unhinge him, but it's a little hard to feel superior when we're both screaming at each other, at the top of our lungs. My own face feels hot and my fists are clenched.

Somehow, I manage to shout louder than him. "Make me!" I scream back.

We shout retorts as Professor Slughorn pushes his way around - people have stopped what they're doing to watch us, even Harry and Ron, the latter having his mouth open. They probably never thought I could yell this loud. Besides the time when Ron returned last summer..

"Enough! Mr Malfoy, Ms. Granger - I expected better of you, being the new Head Boy and Girl!"

I have the decency to look a little bit ashamed, nodding and sinking back to my chair, while Malfoy yawns and nods without much conviction.

"I have no choice but to give you detention," he says simply. "Eight o'clock, my office, as you must patrol at nine."

"What?" Malfoy says incredulously, having the audacity to look angry. Oh, shut up, Malfoy, I think wearily.

"Make that two."

I splutter at this - what did I ever do? - but Malfoy says, "Sir, I was planning - " His voice is drawn out and annoyed, making the professor snap back at him.

"Three nights," Professor Slughorn says crisply, looking at both of us.

I blink my eyes a little at that, but keep my mouth closed - the last thing I want is more detentions.

He leaves, shaking his head once, and announces to the class that they have ten more minutes. I open my textbook to check the ingredients we need - the least we can do is gather them all, with the time that we have left - but then Malfoy says, "Bet this was your first time getting a detention, huh? You stupid mudblood, now look what you've gotten us into!"

"Me!" I gasp back. "I wasn't the one who got us two extra detentions!" Oh, that's it, I think furiously. You've asked for this!

We start yelling at each other again, until Professor Slughorn has to intervene again and I end up with two weeks of detention.

"No," Malfoy sneers back as the bell rings. "But you got us twelve."

He leaves the room, sauntering out, and I glare at the back of his head, hurrying to catch up with Harry, Ginny, and Ron - Angela also trailing behind them.

"That must be a horrible mistake, putting you two together," Harry says, shaking his head.

"You call that an mistake?" I say back in agreement. I don't know what I was thinking when I saw him crying - or when he repaired my cup.

But he definitely hasn't changed at all.

(I don't know if Hermione ever got a detention in the books, but I'm pretty sure she didn't- except for the one exception in the first- so I think I can rightfully say that this is her second time...

Look at the awesome cover! Made by jasalove101)