30: Turning of the Tide, pt 2

Start from the beginning

“You’re no longer worthy.”

“I’m still a Goddess!”

Caelus placed Gaia’s shimmering form on the alter table and repositioned her so she was situated just the way he wanted. Affection was clear on his face and in his touch as he brushed some hair from her cheek.

“My lord!”

He sighed in aggravation and straightened to face Persephone. Having to repeat himself was getting old and why she couldn’t see the annoyance was beyond me. The man looked like he was talking to a petulant child and if that child didn’t watch what she did next, he was going to strike her down. Permanently.

“The vessel is tainted.”

She looked surprised and then offended. “I am not tainted.”

“You spread your legs for the corrupted soul, allowed him to touch you.” He stopped at the edge of the raised alter area. “You also allowed your husband to bleed you.” He stepped down and slowly walked towards her. “Your essence has been tampered with. You are no longer worthy.”

Persephone was fuming by the time he haulted in front of her. Her back was straight, a sign she was trying to keep her dignity if nothing else. Chris moved to stand next to her, glancing between the two.

“Seph—”

“You’re wrong. I’m whole—”

Caelus tilted his head to the side, appraising her. “I could overlook what Hades did. The essence missing is easily retrieved.” He picked up a lock of her hair and rubbed it between his fingers before dropping it in disgust. “Allowing the mortal to defile you, however, cannot be missed.”

Chris was growing angry and the multi-colored life lines he was no longer disguising moved quickly. “Don’t talk to her like that.” His objection went unheard however, as the God and Goddess continued to argue.

“I didn’t—”

“You. DID! How could you be so stupid?” Caelus slapped her, hard, across the face. His anger had finally broken through the calm surface and had become a raging ocean. “You were to build up the perfect soldier, make his powers numerous and great by bringing him back to life over two decades. Lull him into complacency. Make him love you! Not let him defile you!”

Caelus was yelling at the side of her face since she hadn’t turned back from the blow. I watched as a tear dripped down her cheek and I felt a drop of empathy for her. Though she’d orchestrated some of the worst events of my life, she still didn’t deserve this. Not completely anyway.

“It was a mistake,” she whispered.

Caelus swore in Latin before taking a hold of her chin and jerking her to face him.

“You wasted true immortality on brief moments of flesh and lust. You stupid, insolent girl.” He released her with a jolt. “You are no longer of use to me, no longer viable. Get out of my sight.”

He took a step back, away from her, and the hurt his words caused her was visible in the shaking of her shoulders.

“My lord, please. They’ll kill me.”

“As they should. There is nothing you have to offer. Go beg for penance from them.”

“I can still do your bidding,” she pleaded. “Allow me to find a proper vessel for Gaia.”

“I’ve already found one.”

She was grasping at straws now, desperately trying to come up with something she could do. “I can retrieve Chris—”