28: It Wasn't Your Time to Die

Unedited.

Chapter Twenty-Eight

It took me a few seconds to get past the memories and realize I had a death grip on Hades’ hand. He hadn’t protested and no one would’ve known I was cutting off circulation to his fingers if they looked at his face.

I relaxed my grip, cleared my throat, and said as clearly as I could manage, “Hello.” It came out more British than I would have liked, only because my voice cracked at the beginning making it sound like ’ello.

Smooth. I was being really smooth.

His eyes twinkled with amusement while he got these endearing parentheses at the corners of his mouth. My complete bafflement amused the God of the Underworld and I couldn’t help but be completely fascinated by him now. All that new information warring in my head…

My father, ever the worrisome parent, caught every single second of our interaction. “You alright, sweetheart?”

I cleared my throat again and nodded. “Yes. Just surprised.” My fascination turned to suspicion rather quickly and I narrowed my eyes at Hades. “So, you’re the one who came to my father’s rescue.”

He placed his hand over his heart and bowed a little. “Very overstated.”

“On the contrary,” my father said. “If it weren’t for you, the very building my father took his first truck to for a popped tire would be scheduled for demolition come Monday.”

“I’m a firm believer of keeping and restoring old buildings. There’s nothing wrong with refurbishing them for modern day use. That’s the problem with America these days. You tear down the old to bring in the new without weighing in the past.”

“And what do you plan on using the building for, if you don’t mind me asking?” I said.

“I haven’t decided yet,” Hades quipped. “But I’m looking forward to all the possibilities.”

This was a fun dance we were conducting. What use could he possibly have for a building here?

“Theodore!” someone called out.

My father turned in their direction, smiled, and held up a finger before turning back to me. “Tales…”

“I’ll be ok here,” I assured him. “Your new business acquaintance can regale me with how he heard about your predicament in the first place. Go take care of business.”

He looked from me to Hades and then back, not exactly understanding the terse tone I was using. “Alright. I’ll get you a drink, hmm?” He gave me a half-hearted hug and a kiss to the temple. “Be nice.”

I frowned up at him. “I am.” His eyebrows spiked a little, letting me know I’d pinged on his parental radar. I was being suspicious and he noticed. “I promise.”

My father turned on his charming golf smile and glanced at Hades. “You’ll let me know if she doesn’t behave?”

“Of course.” The bemused expression was back. “I’ll keep her thoroughly occupied with my boring European talk of business. We’re both in the same boat of not knowing many people here, after all.”

“Good deal.” He shook Hades’ hand one last time and then he put his sights back on me. “I won’t be too long. Hopefully. If I’m missing longer than thirty minutes, come rescue me.”

“Always.” With one last kiss to the forehead, he headed off into the crowd towards the last voice who’d called out to him. I turned my full attention to the wolf in sheep’s clothing in front of me. “You—” I paused thinking over what I wanted to say. “Tell me it’s all real. Please?”