Captain to Captain

Depuis le début

Bepo shifted beside me, a wary look on his wide, furry face.

"And you are?"

"Watkins Yannick. Captain." He smirked, but made no move to advance.

I mirrored his expression. "The hero of Anba, in the flesh." The words felt like acid on my tongue. Hero. What a load of horse shit. "What can I do for you, Captain?"

Uncomfortable civilians gave us nervous glances and a wide berth.

Yan cracked his neck. "Just keeping tabs on the Supernova in my town."

"Hmmm. A few too many civilians here for any real conversation, wouldn't you say?" I raised an eyebrow, hands in my pockets. There was no reason to think the Captain was here for a fight. There wasn't even any subtle hints of an ambush.

He pressed his lips into a thin line and tilted his head slightly. "Didn't expect you to be so thoughtful. I heard your ship tends to linger, but you've been here for long enough, don't you think?" His words carried a bit more than a suggestion.

I grinned. "Just a hint, captain to captain. Don't tell me what to do."

"Wouldn't dream of it." He straightened his mustache and stroked his beard. "Just a suggestion, from marine to to pirate. Get out of my town."

Bepo growled, but I held up my hand. "Or?"

"Or..." Yan tilted his head side to side, as if he were thinking deeply. "Well, I don't like to make threats." He shrugged and stood straight. He stepped up at me and made as if to put his hand on my shoulder.

"Keep your hands to yourself." I snapped, stepping out of his reach. His skin had taken on a suspicious pallid luster. He was most likely a devil fruit user, and I wasn't keen on finding out what his powers were first hand. I would have to see if Andromeda had any information for me.

He gave me an ugly smirk. "Sure, kiddo. Right up until I arrest you."

I waved the idea away. "Somehow, I doubt you can." Bepo and I strode passed, intent on making it to 'Boots on the Ground' supply chain without further interruptions.

Unfortunately, Yan wasn't finished with our exchange. "That doesn't look like the way to the docks, Trafalgar. Turn around."

"You don't take hints very well, do you, Yan-ya?" I glanced over my shoulder at the marine. "Don't tell me what to do."

His scowl darkened. "Don't call me so familiarly, boy. That's Watkins-san to you."

"I don't think so." I smirked and held up one hand. "Enjoy the sun, Yan-ya."

/-/-/-/

Andromeda had a dazed smile plastered on her face. Her deep brown eyes were dull and unfocused, and I couldn't be sure she was actually seeing me. I pet her hand with a small smile of my own.

"You were saying something before I came in." I pressed. "What was it?"

"Болить." she murmured serenely. "Все болит."

I exhaled through pursed lips. "Alright. So whatever you're saying isn't bad, I guess. People don't smile when something's wrong." But that conclusion didn't feel right. Before I came into the room, I swear she was crying.

Dry eyes and pale cheeks contradicted my gut feeling. The only color seemed to be from her fever. Captain told me not to worry, that it was just stress, but I worried anyway.

"Где Пингвин и Шачи?" Andromeda perked up slightly at the end of her question. The unfocused look sharpened noticeably. "Они дома?"