Untitled Part 1

She was beauty, a warm summer's night, welcoming and free.

She was tranquility, the spring breeze the gently caresses your entire being.

She was sunshine, honeysuckle, and Autumn leaves.

Haley was many things but above all, she was Allen's life.

Allen could not ever tell her, after all, this was a southern small town that still used the n-word offensively, no one would except a lesbian love affair. They both knew this and thus her pinning was destined to dissolve into the cold air of winter by the light of the moon. Allen didn't care if it was pointless. This night, this moment she felt weightless, utterly at peace watching her dearest friend's face go soft under the dim light of the bedside lamp. She wanted nothing more than to memorize each and every feature, to burn it into her memory forever.

They met at the innocent age of four. From the moment she heard that sweet bubble of a voice there was a click. Something that told her, "You're gone. The story has started." With a smile she fell unknowingly towards her doom. That smile would gather a heavy load as the years went by. For a solid year they were inseparable until the next when she peered across the grass and saw her in the opposite line, sharing the same look.

"It won't be the same without you," it said. They would see each other again for ten years, but that didn't matter now. They were together once more, laugh as though they had never parted.

It Allen three months to realize she loved her. Suddenly the world was bright, filled with more colors than thought possible. The days were filled with strawberry shampoo and baby blue eyes, soft and sweet. It didn't matter that there were screaming toddlers, angry couples, and stoned  siblings at home. The only thing she cared about was Haley, from her silky brown hair down to those angelically carved  legs that sank into tight Como-pants and black skinny jeans. Her voice rang with such emotion, such passion, Allen wanted to play it over and over like a favorite song. She was perfect.

On this night she slept on a pile of old stuffed-animals and blankets staring at the most incredible human being. County music played softly in the background and she could only faintly make something about trucks and girls. Haley's genital breathing echoed within her ears. Home, she realized, was not not a house but here, in bed with her.

She whispered a silent, "I love you" before drifting to sleep.