Reclaiming the homestead ch1

Start from the beginning

"I haven't got that much left to complete," Rosy says brightly as she looks at me. "I should be able to cram it all into twelve to eighteen months once Wynn is a little older and no longer needs me constantly."

"No need to cram your studies into a shorter time," I say as I stop the car a small distance from the house. "You can take as long as you need to finish them," I glance at Rosy to find her studying the house with narrow eyed concentration.

"Someone is living here," Rosy say softly. "The lawn isn't mown but it isn't over grown. The grass along the edge of the path does not grow over the cement. There are no leaves or dried stalks or debris of any kind on the veranda even though there's a jungle of lavender growing near it."

I instantly turn my attention to the house as I curse myself for being distracted by my conversation with Rosy, but every time she opens up to me a little bit more I pay attention to what she is saying. I climb out of the car as I look around and I am aware of Rosy getting out as well.

"Lots of heavier work not done," Rosy says in a whisper. "Either no male or he is away most of the time. I can't smell the musky smell even a human male leaves,"

Time and time again Rosy surprises me with how observant she is. I would never have thought to equate the unkept appearance of the place with the lack of a male presence but it did make sense. The door of the house opens with a squeak and I watch as a woman moves out to the edge of the veranda to look at us. The sun is behind us and she lifts a hand to shade her eyes.

"Hallo, can I help you?" She calls.

I take her appearance in with a swift glance, well-worn jeans and a flannelette shirt with old scuffed joggers, all clean but worn. Her skin is tanned, her face aged by the sun and the weather making her age hard to guess. From this distance her hands appear callused and lined from work.

"Yes we're looking for the old Homestead," Rosy answers in a friendly tone. "The directions we were given made us think this was the place,"

"This used to be the Homestead," The woman acknowledges with a nod. "But we call it Sunshine Valley,"

"A bit strange to change the name of a place you're renting," Rosy says amicably as she moves close. I follow close behind her and the woman lowers her hand once she is no longer looking into the sun.

"I don't know who told you what but I'm not renting this place," The woman says standing up straight and pushing her shoulders back. "I got this place fair and square in the separation,"

"Sorry, but I was under the impression this place was owned by the Black family," I say soothingly.

"No they sold out a long time ago, thirty odd years I think it was. Sold it to the McIntosh's, then the wife passed away and Ray McIntosh owned it. We were together nine years and when we separated he got the business in Brisbane we built together and I got this house and ten acres." I hear a trace of bitterness beneath the tiredness in her voice but I am distracted by a shadow in the doorway just before the screen door squeaks and opens.

"Sasha is calling for you and won't stay in bed," A feminine voice says from just inside the doorway.

"But Ray couldn't have given you the house and land in a settlement," Rosy says in disbelief. "It wasn't his to give away. The house and land remained with the Black family because his wife was Jeddah Black. The land never belonged to him, it was passed on to her sons."

"Can't be, I have the deed to the place," The woman says coldly.

"I don't feel so good Mummy," The voice is thin and weak sounding making the woman turn towards the doorway. I catch a glimpse of movement as she hurries back to the door. I am aware of Rosy taking several steps forward, I guess it is the sound of a distressed child pulling at her and I am about to call her back but the woman glances back over her shoulder at both of us.

"I have a sick child to attend to," The woman says abruptly. "Just go and leave us in peace."

"Come on Sweetheart," I urge gently and I am relieved when Rosy turns away after a second's hesitation. I glimpse the tight withdrawn look in her eyes and then she is sliding into the passenger seat and shutting the door with a loud thud. I am quick to get in the car and start the motor, I don't want Rosy deciding to demand to see the deed. This can be sorted out with the help of Kurt Black and a lawyer.

We are bouncing over the last bit of rough, ill kept driveway when Rosy growls low in her throat and pushes back against the seat as she stretches her legs out in front of her.

"We got trouble," Rosy growls as she glares out the windscreen.

"I'll get a lawyer onto it straight away," I tell her soothingly. "A cash settlement can be arranged if need be, sounds like that little kid was sick."

"I'm not talking about the house!" Rose snaps and turns her head to glare at me. "Didn't you smell it?"

"What? All that lavender growing like weeds around the veranda edge?" I ask dryly. "It's not my favourite smell,"

"No! Her kids! Ray's kids! The two in the house! They're girls and one of them is a cat and the other is sick with what's probably her first turn!" Rosy yells at me angrily.

"What th ... oh shit!" I exclaim as I slam on the breaks.

"We have to go back," Rosy says through gritted teeth. "As much as I hate the thought of those ... it's my territory! My house! And that makes them my Clan whether I want them or not!"

"You sure it's the change sickness? Not something you can take back to the boys?" I ask even as I do a three-point turn just outside the driveway entrance so I can head back to the house.

"Yeah I've smelt it enough in the time before I moved back near my Uncle to know the smell," Rosy growls and rolls her eyes angrily at me.