Compromise Me: Chapter 18

Start from the beginning

Oh my god... "Right," she said, searching for some delicacy here because Liv said to play nice and that ruled out honesty. "Again...that's sweet of you, but I'm afraid I don't date the talent."

He grinned wider, his expensive dentistry outshining the rest of him. "I guess that means I need to sever my contract," he said, and Josie thought, You're an idiot.

"If only it was that easy," she said, darting a glance toward the restaurant's kitchen. Where the hell is my steak?

"Or you can make an exception this one time," he said, placing his hand too close to hers on the table. "Let me take you out on the town. Dinner, dancing...a ride in my limo.”

Play nice, Josie…

But the Princess -- Travis’ Princess -- wanted to jab her salad fork into his skull. The guy had no tact with his flirting skills. It was that silver-platter syndrome of his.

"My answer is still no," Josie said.

"I'll betcha night on the town that I can change your mind," he said, and she thought, Not on your life, buster.

"I must decline," she repeated, keeping her voice neutral. "Our relationship must remain professional, Mr. Lane."

"You keep calling me that," he said. "I like Brandon better. I call you Josie. You should call me Brandon."

I'd rather call you a cab. And she almost reached for her salad fork.

He added, "And I think I need to review that niceness clause in my contract in more detail...make sure I understand it correctly.”

Josie smiled...Lord, she hoped it was a smile, and said, "If you need a more thorough explanation, you should review it with your lawyer. He -- or she -- will be able to break down the details for you better than I can."

He said, "I trust you, Josie."

You shouldn't...you're three prongs away from a lobotomy.

"Then we can schedule another time to meet when Liv is available to walk you through it," Josie replied. She removed her hands from the table top and the deadly silverware, and checked to make sure she had her phone in her pocket. “If you will excuse me,” she said, scooting her chair back. “I need to visit the ladies’ room.”

“I’ll be waiting right here, darlin’,” he said, winking at her. Josie forced herself to walk casually, but the bathroom seemed a mile away. Inside, she called M.G.

“Get me the hell out of here,” she whispered anxiously to M.G.

M.G. said, “That bad?”

“It has come to my attention that there are way too many deadly weapons on a restaurant table,” Josie said, and M.G. laughed.