Compromise Me: Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Tipsy with the happiness inside her, Josie giggled as she stumbled off the curb getting into the car to go home. It was nearing midnight, and neither her, nor Travis, expected to stay out so late. Because he wanted to dance, she mused, strapping her seat belt around herself.

The instant his arms went around her while the band played a modern version of Bessie Smith’s “I Need A Little Sugar In My Bowl,” Josie forgot about time and space and crowds. Travis wasn’t the best dancer in the world -- far from it. He stepped on her toes more than once, but she barely noticed. His warm brown eyes gazed down at her, and there was that little curve to his lips, suggesting a smile in the making, and she heard the music weave around them and felt the heat of his body through his jacket, and when the blister forming on her pinky toe announced that they had been dancing for way too long, she finally excused herself to go to the ladies room.

Then she came out, picked up another glass of wine, drained it, and found herself surrounded by a lot of men. Some young and some not so much anymore.  All smiling in obvious manners.  Her empty glass was replaced, but by then, she just wanted to be wherever Travis was, yet some of those men were V.I.P.s of the Blues industry, so she had to play nice and be polite, and she took to sipping her wine to keep from blurting out the wrong, not-nice things to a few of them.

Travis rescued her. “Josie,” he said, sliding between bodies to stand at her side, putting a protective arm around her waist. “It’s time to go.”

“Okay,” she said, and went through the pleasantries of saying good-bye. Her half-empty wine glass was taken from her by Travis. He said, “Excuse us,” in a firm voice to the men surrounding her, and escorted her -- quite rapidly -- toward the door.

The warm air of the summer night hit her face, and she started giggling. And couldn’t stop. Halfway home, Travis sighed and said, “Next time, stay away from the wine. How many glasses did you drink tonight?”

“Three?” she said, squinting to think. “Four, maybe? But not all at once.”

“I’m glad I came with you,” he said darkly, and she sighed, remembering him holding her, and said, “Me, too, Travis. Me, too.”

He looked at her. “You’re drunk.”

“Not very,” she said, settling back against the seat. “I think I’m more giddy of the fact that you saved me. My very own Prince Charming.”

He made a sound. “You’ve never struck me as the type of Princess who needed saving.”

“Tonight, I did,” she said, and frowned. “I think one of them pinched my bottom.”

“I think one of them did, too,” he said dully. “Try not to let it happen again.”

“I didn’t give him permission, Travis,” she said.

“This was a work function, Josie,” he said, heat in his voice. “You drank too much, cussed too much and flirted way too much.”