𝟏𝟏.

Clint made his way to the jet, granting me a brief respite to compose myself

Clint made his way to the jet, granting me a brief respite to compose myself. I used the moment to dry my face and collect my thoughts. My focus, however, remained fixated on the note he had handed me. The phrase 'Welcome to the Avengers' echoed incessantly in my mind, creating a surreal sensation. It seemed like a dream, yet simultaneously, it felt like my fate finally aligned with its intended course.

I stowed the note with a contented smile and gathered my essentials before leaving the room. Navigating the hallway, my destination was the quarters occupied by Wanda and Pietro. I traced my hand along the doorframe, and a sight unfolded before me, leaving me momentarily breathless, my eyes widening.

In a deliberate and unhurried manner, Pietro was pulling down his shirt, revealing a physique defined by sculpted abs. A rush of sensations flooded through me, causing my stomach to flutter and my face to flush. I inwardly chastised my body for its reaction, acknowledging the undeniable allure of the man before me, regardless of his demeanor.

"Enjoying the view?" Pietro quipped, wearing a self-assured smirk as he completed the shirt descent with a teasing flair.

Rolling my eyes, I responded with restraint and playfulness, "Oh, please. I merely stopped by to remind you both to wear your earpieces. It's our means of communication." I gulped, shifting my gaze toward the floor, hoping to conceal the subtle embarrassment that tinged my voice.

"Thank you," Wanda uttered softly, prompting me to glance back up. Her demeanor portrayed nervousness, likely from the impending battle with Ultron and the prospect of returning to her hometown.

In response, I offered a reassuring smile, attempting to dismiss the warmth that tinged my cheeks. "I'll catch up with you both on the jet."

Securing myself into my accustomed seat, I adjusted my feet and reclined, closing my eyes to take a deep breath. Despite having participated in two recent missions with the Avengers, an unexpected sense of unpreparedness and fear lingered within me. There was an undeniable difference about this mission, an imposing weight that settled in my stomach. Was it the inclusion of the twins in our ranks? Unlikely. Perhaps it was the imminent confrontation with Ultron again? Maybe.

My eyes snapped open as I heard Pietro rush into the jet, carrying Wanda in his arms. He gently set her down, and they both approached me. Pietro occupied a seat two spaces away while Wanda settled in beside him, her gaze fixed on the floor. In the front, near the controls, Steve, Clint, and Tony took their seats while Thor and Vision stood behind us as the others had referred to him. Bruce, engrossed in the computer, occupied the seat across from us. An uneasy silence enveloped the team, magnifying the growing discomfort in my stomach as if we all shared a collective hunch.

"Ultron knows we're coming," Steve announced as soon as we took off. "Odds are we'll be riding into heavy fire, and that's what we signed up for. But the people of Sokovia, they didn't." I shifted my gaze towards Pietro and Wanda, the latter looking down somberly. "So, our priority is getting them out. All they want is to live their lives in peace, which will not happen today. But we can do our best to protect them. And we can get the job done and find out what Ultron's been building. We find Romanoff, and we clear the field. Keep the fight between us. Ultron thinks we're monsters, that we're what's wrong with the world. This isn't just about beating him. It's about whether he's right."