Like a Crazy Person

The sound of gravel crunching warned me that someone had pulled up even before the sound of the car door. Part of me wondered if I was about to be rolling around on the front lawn with some big Kentucky good old boy as I turned and looked out the window. Instead I saw Miss Lily-Rylee heading for the front porch. I admired her hips and the way they swayed as she hustled to the front porch. She was wearing a thin flannel shirt that she'd knotted below her breasts, leaving plenty of belly bare over the set of cuttoff Levi jeans she wore.

For some reason I found that little bit of a muffin top at the top of her tight cutoffs to be kind of sexy. Plump evidence of cushion that would feel sweet against my palms.

Pru has only been dead

oh shut the fuck up

I dabbed at the corners of my mouth and my mustache, standing up and putting the napkin down. I was almost to the door when the doorbell rang.

She stared at me when I whipped open the door. "Morning, Miss Lily-Rylee," I said, smiling.

I'd woken up crying, but my mood had improved as soon as I had remembered the night before. I'd showered in warm water, shaved, and gotten dressed. Desert combat boots, jeans, and a black T-shirt with the Nike logo on it, topping it off with a flannel shirt. I was moving gingerly, but I felt better than I could remember.

She gaped at me, staring up. I realized how short she was, maybe five foot two.

So different from Pru's height.

Except Pru was dead.

and barely cold in her grave

yeah, well this woman's not, and Miss Mary-Beth sure as shit wasn't, now leave me alone.

you just couldn't wait, could you

She left, not me.

The internal argument flashed through, and I noticed I didn't get the accompanying whiplash of emotions. Part of me wondered if it was the medication.

"Come in," I smiled.

She jerked like I'd shocked her, blushing, and hurried by me. She had a little bag with the pharmacy logo on the side in one hand.

"Doc Rutheford said this needs to be put on in the morning and evening," she said. She blushed. "I, uh, couldn't make it last night."

I smiled at her. "It's all right."

She moved over to the chairs, looking at what was left of breakfast on my plate. "Omelette?"

I nodded, still smiling. "I made it."

"Been a while since you cooked?" She asked gently.

Pru or the housekeeper were the one who cooked, although it had been the housekeeper more and more over the years

"Yeah," I said. I motioned at the stove. "You want one? I'll warn you, a good Texas omelette takes about a half hour to make, and goes with hashbrowns."

She laughed and shook her head. "Trying to fatten me up like cow?" she asked. She arched her eyebrow at me and I could see merriment in her eyes.

"Maybe I like my girls a little plump," I shot back.

I suddenly remembered Miss Mary-Beth's plentiful fat ass and blushed.

"Blushing again, Sam," She laughed. She set the bag on the table and dug in it. "You owe me ten dollars."

I pulled out my wallet, digging out a ten and handing it to her. She brought out packets of koolaid and the silvadene. I finished off the last of my omelette and hashbrowns, watching her get everything out and then put the Koolaid into the drawer I'd decided was my junk drawer.