If, Then. (Thomas Torres one-shot)

A/N: Inspired by the new Broadway musical If/Then starring Idina Menzel. Actually, it was their promotion that inspired me. They have a promotion where fans send their If/Then stories and they post it. I thought that it was nice.

This is for Krystianne! Hope you like it. :) sorry if I took really long though.

--

“I’ll wait for you, I promise,”

That’s what they all say. I can still remember how his eyes blazed with a fierce determination to fulfill that promise. I can still hear him saying it to me as if it was yesterday.

To be honest, I didn’t want to leave. I didn’t want to leave the life that I’ve lived and been living. I didn’t want to leave my friends but I had to. I had to go to San Francisco where my parents live. I love them, there’s no doubt about that, but I hated the fact that they’re forcing me to live with them. However, what could I do? They support me financially and they give me everything that I want that is reasonable.  So when they gave me the ultimatum of not funding my schooling anymore among other things, I couldn’t help but give in.

Of course, I didn’t back down without a fight. I managed to haggle that I’d live with them in San Francisco for three years to finish my schooling. After that, I’d be free to fly back to the Philippines where I know I should be. Knowing that that’s the only way to make me agree, they caved in.

Like I said, I never wanted to leave… Mostly because of him—the guy who promised he’d wait for me. The guy who I thought was the only one who I could love so much and love me back in the same manner. Then again, nothing was ever official between us. I couldn’t call him mine by the time I left because he wasn’t. Though I think that we were almost there. But who cares about that? It was the act of breaking his promise that broke me. I almost stopped myself from returning to the Philippines when I found out but everything was already set.

I remember having a heavy heart while I was boarding the plane. I was dreading the whole flight. I would be alone in a space full of strangers. My mind would be plagued by unwanted thoughts.

As much as I didn’t want to remember, I did. Not just once, twice, nor thrice… The whole plane ride was full of what I found out a couple of day before. It sucked to want to cry fully knowing that you couldn’t. The people around me might panic if I suddenly burst into tears.

I sighed as I remembered it once again.

I was so excited to go back home. I graduated from college just a few weeks ago. After numerous celebrations, it was time to face the truth that I’d be going back to the Philippines. I’ve been packing all the things that I’d be bringing back with me. Of course, kasama na yung mga pasalubong.

As excited as I was, my heart was also racing because of nervousness. After how many years, I’d get to see him again. I wonder if he’d still look the same. How much have he changed over the past three years?

The question that killed me the most, though, was if he was still waiting for me. I just didn’t expect to get my answer almost immediately. Of course, I follow him on his social networking accounts. I just didn’t expect that it’d see something that would make my heart break.