By the time I was done I felt like I had control of myself. I got out and headed inside.

Eli was behind the counter and waved to me. I ambled over and he gave me a yellow toothed smile around the stem of his pipe.

"Whoo-whee, Texas, you're tearing up my inventory," he told me. "Whatcha here for now?"

"Insulation and plastic liner," I told him. "Need a few other things, but those are the main ones."

"You get that pump working?" He asked.

"Not yet," I told him.

"Hang on," he reached down and grabbed a microphone, winking at me and pressing the button. "Chuck. Hey, Chuck, getchur ass up to the counter."

"Give him a minute," Eli said. He lit his pipe, puffing out clouds of smoke.

"Whatcha want, ya pipe smokin' old bastard?" A younger, beefier guy said, walking out from between the aisles.

"You doin' anything to pay the rent today?" Eli asked.

The guy, Chuck, shrugged. "Nope."

"Tex here could use some help. He's out at Mary-Beth's old trailer home and that pump's probably shot in the ass," Eli said. He took a moment to blow smoke rings. "You ain't doin' nothing to pay the bills, and Tex here would probably like his pump working so he can quit smelling like a mountain lion."

The guy turned to me. "Chuck, of Slater Plumbing," he said, holding out his hand.

I shook his hand, staring him in the eye. "Sam English," I told him. "Nobody special."

Eli snorted but I ignored it.

"What kind of work you need?" He asked me.

I sighed. "Pump repair or replacement. Water pipes, sewer pipes," I started.

"Ain't got no sewer out here. You get your septic checked?" Chuck said.

I smacked my head. "Damn."

He chuckled. "I'll get the honey wagon, we'll pump it out. So basically a complete job," he squinted at me. "That'll run you about six grand total."

I nodded. "About what I figured."

"Mary-Beth's getting a lot out of you," Eli chuckled. "She know you're tearing it up?"

I looked at him. "I hadn't thought about it. She said it needed some repairs, so I'm repairing it."

Eli shook his head. "Kinsley!" he shouted. He waited a second. "Kinsley!"

"What?" Came the shout from further back.

"Get on up here, I gotta run to the bank!" Eli shouted.

"That crazy Texan come back and buy the place up again? We just got the truck unloaded!" The woman yelled.

I grinned. Chuck leaned over to me.

"I'll get the honey truck and my boys. See you at the trailer," he said.

"Thanks," I told him.

"Just get yer ass up here, Kinsley," Eli shouted. He looked at me, spreading his hands. "Grand-kids."

I nodded. The woman that came out from the aisles was a skinny thing with watery eyes.

"Keep an eye on the till, I gotta go to the bank," Eli said. "Tell Caleb and Asher to load up the man's order on the flat-bed so we can haul it out there."

"You must be the Texan," Kinsley said, narrowing her eyes.

"Don't be glaring at paying customers, girlie," Eli said as he walked toward the door.

NobodyOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara