Dany V

Dany V

A heavy thud abruptly woke Dany from her sound sleep. The ship's slow rocking on the calm seas was a gentle lullaby, she had only meant to rest a short while but found herself waking up hours later in the dead of night. Opening her eyes, she quickly scanned the room around her, wondering what time it was, after midnight, maybe later, she guessed. Her modestly appointed chamber was bathed in the bright light of the full moon, the unusually warm night coupled with calm winds almost made her forget that it was indeed winter. It was hard to imagine that not that long ago she was in a hopelessly frozen desert at the end of the world.

One half of the mission had been completed but not without immense grief and loss on her part. It was easier to cope with the loss of Viserion by thinking he was just off on a long hunting trek, thinking he'll be back soon. The false sense of hope gave Dany a semblance of strength when she could find none within herself; a story good enough to keep her chin up in trying times when she felt alone in the world.

And Dany did remember the loneliness she felt as a child, living in constant fear as an exile on the run from Robert's assassins. She would build her fantasy world of hope wherever she laid her head at night; be it a lush featherbed in a Braavosi Lord's palace or smuggled in the back of a wheat wagon on its way to Pentos. She'd pretend to be a princess of Old Valyria, the last remaining of the world's dragonkin with castles, dragons, loyal subjects, and all the things princesses were promised. And while her brother earned the moniker "the beggar king", conspiring to sell her to the highest bidder as they traveled the Free Cities, Dany would dream and hope of a different future. And now look, it all came true, even her impossible dragons.

An odd mix of elation and exhaustion had been the mood of late among the ship's passengers and Dany wasn't immune to it. Since waking yesterday, Jon was healing nicely, eating more and sleeping less each day. Last night, the men gathered in his chambers in an informal gesture of well-wishing for Jon's recovery and remembrance for those that were lost. Ser Davos had asked her to attend but she declined, Jon needed the camaraderie of his fellow warriors around him to get him back on his feet again. She really did occupy most of his time while he was asleep, it was now their time to spend with him as they set off on the next leg of their journey.

As the gentle swells began to lull Dany back to sleep, another loud thud shook the wall behind her. Jon, she knew. Dany had taken the room right next to his, meant for the captain's steward, wanting to be close to him while he was unconscious. She sprung to her feet, headed for the door and opened it. The hallway was dark, only a dim light from the dining room down the hall was visible. She approached Jon's door with trepidation, pulling her long braided hair over her right shoulder, making sure that her sleep tunic wasn't bunched up or too wrinkled. She knocked softly on the door but didn't announce herself as she slowly pushed Jon's door open into the chamber.

"Jon?" she quietly called, peeking her head further in, Dany's eyes swept around the dark room, looking over at the rumpled empty bed covered in moonlight.

"I'm here," Jon replied, Dany's eyes shifted and found him braced against a long table near the window, arms holding himself up while unsteady legs threatened to tumble him to the floor. His hair loose, long curls obscuring his face from her. He looked up from underneath them, out of breath and pained.

Dany swiftly entered and was at his side in the next moment, grabbing his hand and arm without a second thought to help steady him. She looked up at him, eyes full of worry, "Why are you out of bed at this hour?"

"Why are you so warm?" Jon replied, eyes smiling in obvious jest, gripping her hand tighter. Dany was caught off guard by his momentary playfulness, she couldn't help but smile, not knowing how to respond. She flushed at the remark, pretty sure that was what Jon had intended.