Chapter Thirty-Six

Start from the beginning

   "How about we give her some space first?"

   Calypso smiled in relief when Dorcas made everyone back up from her.

   "Can I talk to you?" Calypso asked, turning to Aerin. He nodded his head and they walked into the hall together.

    "How are you feeling?" Aerin asked. Calypso shrugged.

    "Confused, I guess. Mostly sad. Mum says I'll feel better after the funeral, so . . ." Calypso said. Calypso frowned at the thought of the funeral. "Oh, yeah, how was your gig?"

    "What?" Aerin blinked.

    "Your band's really big gig. I don't feel like talking about my dad, so how'd it go?" Calypso asked. Aerin's cheeks turned pink.

    "Oh, it was fine. Nothing major."

    "Liar." Calypso laughed. Aerin chuckled nervously, scratching the back of his neck. "Oh, come on, are you seriously not going to tell me?"

     "Well . . . the Moon Sisters were there and they told me to say hi to you because they remembered you from Slughorn's Halloween Party."

     "You met them?" Calypso asked, her eyes brightening. "That's awesome!"

     "Well . . . we didn't just meet them. They came backstage after the show because they wanted to talk to us about joining them on tour as their opening act."

      "Oh." Calypso said, blinking in surprise before frowning. "But, aren't they on tour now? What about school?"

     "Well, we'd leave, at least for the time being. Dumbledore said we could come back next year if we wanted and redo fifth year, but if we went I don't think any of us would want to come back when we could focus on our music career." Aerin said.

      "If? You said no? Why did you say no?" Calypso frowned.

      "I can't just leave in the middle of fifth year, can I? And what about you? It'd be impossible for us to see each other and I . . . I love you, Calypso. I don't want to leave you especially when you just lost your dad." Aerin said. Calypso's eyes widened and she blinked at Aerin, her jaw slack. His face went bright red. "This wasn't how I wanted to tell you that, but I do. I can't leave."

     He brought his hand up and rested it on her cheek. She leaned slightly into his palm and smiled sadly at him.

     "I can't let you stay here for me, Aerin. You know I can't. This is a huge opportunity for you, something you've been waiting for your whole life. You were born to perform in front of crowds. I've seen it. I won't let you stay here because of me." Calypso said. She took his hand off her cheek and stepped away from him. "So, I'm breaking up with you."

     "Cal . . ." Aerin sadly, trailing off as he searched for something to say.

    "It's okay. I'll be okay." Calypso reassured him, forcing a smile on her face. "You have to go write to the Moon Sisters right now and tell them that you're going to go on tour with them."

     "Calypso, I —"

     "I'll be okay." Calypso said again. She didn't think she could hear what he was going to say to her without breaking down into tears again.

      Aerin stared at her before cupping her face in his hands and placing a soft kiss on her lips. Calypso closed her eyes and savored the moment before Aerin pulled away from her and went to find Fraser, Nancy, and Zig.

    When he was far enough away, Calypso was in a daze over what just happened and though she was sad that Aerin wasn't her boyfriend anymore, she was glad he and his band were going to be an opening act for her favorite band.