17: "You're afraid of me?"

Start from the beginning

And to make matters worse, Jason looks scared out of his mind, which makes my sisterly instincts kick in. I am more angry than scared right now because he has to go through this.

"I'm calling the police." I tell him, patting myself down because I am unable to move. Then my heart sinks even further into my gut when I remember that I left my phone downstairs to charge so I wouldn't be distracted while studying.

"Where's your phone?" I whisper at him as I grab his arm.

There's a moment of silence in which he thinks about it, and when his face expression changes I know that it's nowhere in reach.

"It's in the kitchen...I was about to go and make a sandwich-" he says and I press my hand over his mouth when the floor creaks downstairs, which lets me know that he's in the downstairs bathroom. I hear the door closing.

"Is he taking a piss?" Jason asks, trying to seem like he's not scared out of his mind.

"I'm going downstairs." I whisper. "Go and hide in your closet."

"No way Rey. I'm coming with you."

I sigh, knowing that I don't have the time to argue. "Take off your shoes now." I tell him and do the same, so we're both in our socks. Then I press my finger against my lips and walk down the stairs in the quickest slowest pace I know.

My heart feels like it's about to stop any moment now, because I know that it takes about ten seconds to get from the bathroom to the kitchen and five seconds from the bathroom to the living room, which means that the kitchen is the best option right now.

We run across the floor on our tiptoes until we reach the kitchen. His phone is on the counter and I grab it just as the toilet flushes in the bathroom.

"In the pantry." I tell him and we walk into the pantry before we hide behind the cereal rack.

I dial 999 when I hear tiny footsteps and then a sniffing nose.

"Fuck, Bentley, go away boy. Come on." I tell him and try to push him out.

"999 what is your emergency?" the voice on the other end asks.

"Hello, there is a man with a gun in our house. Please come now. He's escaped and he's here-"

"What is your address?"

I don't answer.

"Miss, what is your home address?"

My throat has shut down because I am staring right into the end of a gun.

"Put the phone down love." Niall's dad says and I place it on the floor next to me faced-down, without ending the call, because I know that if the call is longer than one minute, it will be easy to track.

"Now get up. Both of you." He says, and when we fail to do so, he shakes the gun and repeats his words in a deeper tone.

"It's okay Jase, let's do what he says." I tell him and slowly stand up, holding my hands up in defense.

Bentley doesn't really seem to understand what is happening and my heart hurts.

"In the living room. NOW." Niall's dad screams and I flinch, before I push Jason in front of me. We sit down on the couch and I am shaking as I look over at Jason, who has a blank expression on his face.

"Where is your father's safe?"

I look up. "Is this what you want? Money? I can give you all the money I have, but my dad doesn't keep money in the house."