Mystery of Love (B.B.)

Warnings: none unless you count reader thirsting over bucky (scenes similar to call me by your name, inspiration only)

Summer, in Italy. Most would see it as a vacation away from the real world, nothing to stress, just pure bliss. It was partially true yes, but if you had been raised in Italy it all got repetitive. Especially if you lived in a house, next to a small town. There want as much to do as you may have thought. However in the summers, your house would hold guests, they ranged from poets, to archaeologists, to doctors. They would come and go, a new one each year. But this year was different.

He came in early June, he looked out of place, his hair put up in a messy ponytail. He wore a fitting tang top, with a pale yellow, unbuttoned shirt over it. What stood out was his arm, it had a shine to it. He was tall, looked a few years older than myself. Father had ushered him into the house, showing him where to place his bags, in the room next to mine. He seemed to be a people person, he was lively and polite. But he wasn't shy of saying what was on his mind. To me he was different than the previous guests.

Mornings he would lay out on a blanket, in the grass. He usually had a book in hand, I found it interesting that he read, his type didn't seem like they had an interest in books. I would sit, on chair at the table, shaded by a large umbrella. I couldn't help looking at him, his jawline, spotted with hints of scruff, the way it tensed when he read a certain page. The way his hair fell around his face, and his eyes. They were a cold blue, it felt as if the winter ice had stayed this year.

I had hoped he didn't notice my staring, as I did it whenever I was able. I just couldn't stop myself, it was like a habit that I didn't want to break. The way he would lick his lips and bite his tongue when he found something amusing. He was like the sun, and I Icarus. I had too many questions, with no answers. Our rooms were connected by an outdoor balcony, I could hear him sometimes. His little mutters. I would sit against the wall just to catch even a hint of his voice.

My parents loved him, he was about my age just a small bit older, they adored the way he would explain things of the past. He helped my mother cook, and my father he helped with his vast book collection. All the while I hadn't even spoken a word to him. I wasn't a 'people person' so I tended to wonder alone, until he caught on to me.

"If your going to keep staring at me, you should at least talk to me." I stopped reading, and set the book down. I could hear the Brooklyn accent in his voice. "One tends not to  speak, when there is nothing to be spoken about." I said, a bit of sarcasm creeping in. He smirked at my response, seeming to find it amusing. "Well there are lots of things to speak about, you just have to put a little effort in, (y/n)." My face revealed a bit of a blushing color, it was the first time he had spoken my name, and it was all I wanted him to say. It sounded right coming from him. "If you'd like to talk then let's, why did you not mention it sooner? Or perhaps make an 'effort' to speak to Me?" I said with a mocking tone. I referred to him noticing my staring. I didn't bother to hear what he said, as I walked off with my book.

It had been exactly a month, we'd created this sort of friendship, if you found me, he'd most likely be there as well. He had "taken a liking" to me as he said. I was quite happy to just be near him. He was one of those interesting types of people, the ones that everyone wants to know. He had a vast knowledge of world war two and I couldn't help hanging off every word he spoke. It was clear to anyone that i had formed an affection towards the buff man, and maybe he saw it too with the way that his eyes lingered on me. But if he did I never knew.  

It was Night and he had asked me to join him down at the beach, to sit and enjoy the coast, i was really just there to watch him. And i think he knew that as he never questioned my staring. What shocked me though was when he asked me to dance with him, right there in the moonlight with no music and just the sounds of the ocean. "now why would i do that Mr Barnes?" he held his hand out to me "because Doll, i know you want to~" i couldn't say no even if i wanted to. And he pulled me in close and we swayed to the sounds of the shore, his head resting on mine as we danced. and when i had the courage to look up, he was smiling down at me, and he brought his lips to mine. And i got lost in a feeling i never wanted to end.