Staying with Mr. Poe

- YOUR P.O.V -

"It's a raven."
"It's a crow!"
"It's a raven!"
"It's a crow!"
"Its chicken. Boiled chicken." Mrs. Poe said, placing it in the centre of the table. "We have boiled potatoes and blanched string beans too."
"What does 'blanched' mean?" Albert asked, in an unamused tone.
"'Blanched' means, boiled." Klaus replied immediately.
"Nobody asked you." Albert snapped, though still seeming bored.
"Come now, Albert. Be nice to the-"
"No, my darling, Albert is right. Nobody asked the Baudelaires." Mrs. Poe interrupted, to which you glared, and then
zoned out, stabbing the food that Mrs. Poe forcefully put on your plate, though, much like the Baudelaires beside you, you didn't eat anything. You looked up to the crinkle of a newspaper being held above the table, with a picture of the beautiful Baudelaire mansion on the front cover, however in its newly burnt state, with the headlines:
'BAUDELAIRE MANSION DESTROYED'
"Ah, dearest. Maybe not in front of the children" Mr. Poe said, pointing towards you, as you had a menacing scowl upon your face.
"But I thought it would cheer them up, the little grouchy, gloomy guses." Mrs. Poe replied, putting down the daily punctilio roughly on her empty plate.
"I had my star reporter write an article for the front page again, like I did in the L/n's case. So that everyone will know, your home was destroyed and you're orphans now. Although not much has changed for you Y/n."
You and the Baudelaires looked down in sadness as this was brought up, but Mrs. Poe didn't seem to care, as she continued;
"The front page! Some people wait a lifetime for that." Suddenly, Mrs. Poe smiled and picked up the dreadful newspaper again, waving it in the air like it was some kind of golden ticket.
"And Darling, look! You're mentioned too!"
Mr.Poe frowned, and took the newspaper from her hands, reading aloud;
"Generosity shown by prominent member of the banking community." He smiled, and looked back up at his wife.
"If your bosses at the bank see this, it may spell; P - R - O - M - A - T - I - O - N"
"Promation?" Mr. Poe inquired with speculation
"Promotion!
"N-no, that's not how you spell 'promotion'" Mr. Poe said, stuttering slightly.
"Promotion"
"P-R-O"
"P-R-R"
"P-R-O-M-A-E-O---"
"Honey, see! P-R-R-"
"Dear--"
"Honey, listen to what I'm saying!-"
"I'm sorry."
"-Before you start speaking!"
"P-R-O--"
"I don't... feel.. very hungry." Klaus interrupted slowly. "May we, go to our rooms?"
The strange family looked at Klaus incredulously.
(a word which here means, looking at Klaus as if he had just said the craziest thing. Which 'should have been obvious')
You looked at Mr.Poe, who coughed twice before saying;
"RoomSS?"

- TIMESKIP, STILL YOUR P.O.V -

After a short argument with Klaus, he finally sighed and was sleeping on the 'bed' with Violet and Sunny, instead of you, who are now sleeping on a blanket layed out on the floor beside them.
You ignored Mr. And Mrs. Poe as they said goodnight to Albert and Edgar in turns,
"And goodnight guests." Mrs. Poe said, looking down at the Baudelaires and yourself.
"You must feel terrible, and you must miss your parents very much." Mrs. Poe said to the Baudelaires, who nodded sadly.

 Poe said to the Baudelaires, who nodded sadly

"We do." Violet spoke lightly.
"You do what..? Say it."
"We feel terrible, and we miss our parents very much." Klaus answered, catching on.
Mrs. Poe sighed deeply in contempt.
"That's gonna make a wonderful headline."
You rolled your eyes, before having Mrs. Poe say to you;
"And you, Y/n. You must also feel terrible, and I'm sure you wish you had more time with them."
You nodded, and repeated what she had just said, knowing that if you didn't say so, she would only demand it further.
"I also feel terrible, and I wish I had more time with them.."
Mrs. Poe smiled, and breathed out.
"That will make a brilliant quote next to that headline."
You phased out, and saw the light around you vanish, until it was just the night-lamps next to Edgar and Albert's beds that shone upon your faces.
Suddenly, Edgar sat up and looked at you excitedly "you taught them how to do it, didn't you Y/n? Since you've done it before. Why don't you tell us how you all did it?"
The Baudelaires frowned, sitting up next to you, and inquired; "how did we do what?"
"Set the fire." Edgar replied simply. Although you knew it was coming, as you had been forced to stay with the Poes three years ago.
The Baudelaires sighed, and lay back down.
Klaus glanced sideways at you and smiled slightly, in sympathy.

A long and terrible day was ahead of you, yet you just didn't know it. If only that day never came..

- 813 words -