Chapter 2

Mekhi

I walked back to my aunties house since she having this lil family cookout or whatever. I left earlier because nobody was gon be here that early and I had shit to do. It's only four now but a lot of my family seem to be here so far. "Wassup kid," I said to my fifteen year old lil cousin. "Aye I ain't think I was gon see somebody I can really talk to today man. Then here you come," he said and I chuckled and we dapped each other up.

"I started to invite some of my friends or go meet em," he said and I chuckled and shook my head. "Spend time wit yo family man, stop being so quick to be in these streets. And yea I know what you meant, you ain't slick." I said and he chuckled. "You da last one to be talkin fam." He said and I smirked. "Well look, we ain't talkin bout me right now. We talking boutchu kid," I said and he just chuckled and shook his head.

I walked over to my Uncle Jeffrey who grillin all the food. "I see you unc, let me get lil piece doe." I said reaching my hand into the pan of cooked food and he pushed my whole head making me lose balance for a second. "Boy you keep playing Ima have to show you some moves you ain't never seen before." He said and I chuckled. "Y'all old heads swea y'all know some big unknown secret weapon type shit." I said laughing at him.

"Y'all young boys need to learn some got damn respect, y'all don't know that we can whoop ya ass and kill at the same time." He said and laughed and I waved him off. "Yea ard kid," I said and he got so mad it was funny. "Don't call me no kid, stop using the word it disrespectful and belittling. You a kid, I ain't no fucking kid." He said and I started laughing.

"Whatever you say kid." I said laughing and he got so mad man. "Aye Veronica get yo disrespectful ass son, keep calling me some god damn kid." He shouted over to my mama. "Jeffrey ain't nobody bothering yo ass, leave my son alone. He call everybody kid, you ain't special. Mekhi come show yo grandma some love boy, before we be out here fighting yo got damn uncle." My mother shouted loudly over the loud music.

I walked over to them and hugged my mother who is already partially drunk, she smell like alcohol. She hugged and and rocked side to side as she danced. I let her have her moment cause I love her and I know it's been hard on her ever since I moved out and came to live with my Aunt freshmen year.

"You know I love you right?" She asked as the smell of alcohol coming from her is becoming repulsive. "Yea Ma, I love you too." I said hoping she will let go any time now. We ended up going in a circle as her back and my front faced the house and my back and her front faced otherwise.

I just happened to see Kenza taking pictures of Shannon and she seemed happy. She's smiling, and not all crying anymore.

Our eyes locked for a second and she just stared at me with a small smile as her eyes sparkled

Our eyes locked for a second and she just stared at me with a small smile as her eyes sparkled. I looked away knowing I shouldn't even be looking at her. I didn't notice I had a small smile on my face until I looked away. I glanced back at her to see she was still staring at me then she looked away herself.