"So this ferocious animal is female?" asked Miles. He pursed his lips doubtfully. "Are you sure about that?" 

"Quite sure. It's female and tough as nails. Elaine wasn't kidding when she said these cats aren't adoptable. It's quite antisocial and temperamental," said Myrtle with satisfaction.  

"Isn't it interesting," drawled Miles, "how animals can have so much in common with their owners?" 

Miles ramblings were going to bore her again...if she paid attention. Which she had no intention of doing. "I know you were taking a nap and everything, but what do you think about investigating with me?" 

Miles's face left no doubt what he thought of that idea. "Really, Myrtle..." 

"I know. You'd rather be reading Faulkner. But I could use the help." She leaned heavily on her cane to remind him of her age and infirmity. 

He sighed. "Help with what?" 

"I'm going to try to catch up with Sherry in a little while. I saw her inside Cullen's house when I was leaving it today." Myrtle wiggled her eyebrows at Miles. 

"That's not so strange, is it? After all, you were over at Cullen's house. And it sounds like Willow was there. Actually, it sounds like half the book club was over getting barbeque." 

"Absolutely. We were all at Cullen's house. Not in Cullen's house. That's a big difference in prepositions. Anyway, I think it might be a good idea to touch base with Sherry and see what's up. You can set a clock by her weekend schedule-she always goes out to garden at two o'clock on Saturdays. She lives right next door to the Caulfields, so maybe she heard or saw something. Or has an idea who might have done it. Maybe she's having some sort of relationship with Cullen." 

"Or maybe," said Miles in a dry voice, "she was just being a good neighbor and trying to see if Cullen needed any help this morning." 

"You're illustrating my point exactly. We don't know why she was there this morning. But we'll find out. Because," Myrtle drew herself up stiffly, "Jill's death must be avenged. Justice must prevail!" 

"Help with what? You still haven't told me what you need help with." 

"Oh." Myrtle thought hard. Really, she just wanted a sidekick with her. It was practically a detective prerequisite. But she wasn't sure Miles was totally sold on the sidekick idea. "Listening to Sherry. She's a soft-talker, you know. It's hard for my old ears to catch everything she says." 

Miles frowned, "I haven't noticed that Sherry is a-" 

"So," said Myrtle hurriedly, "if you could just meet me outside Sherry's house at two o'clock. That'll give us a little time to eat some lunch and put our feet up for a few minutes. Okay! See you then." 

Myrtle bustled out, leaving Miles to wonder how his day had gotten hijacked so quickly.

Myrtle fixed herself a sandwich and some chips for lunch and watched soap operas for a few minutes with her feet up. Completely refreshed, she decided to jump right into her investigation. Myrtle looked wistfully around her living room. Dust was already starting to collect. She missed energetic, cheerful, cleaning sensation Jill. She could easily have put up with the nosiness-there wasn't anything in her medicine cabinet that was interesting, anyway. The conversation, company, and cleaning would have made up for any privacy loss.  

Sure enough, Sherry was outside promptly at two wearing ratty gardening gloves and a wide-brimmed, flowered hat. She bent down to pull some intrepid weeds that sprouted by her mailbox, then noticed Myrtle standing there. "Hi, Miss Myrtle. Getting some exercise?"