Myrtle was quickly losing interest in the conversation. Willow's brain had shifted gears now and Myrtle doubted there was any way to switch it back. "Yes. Well, I should be getting home to put the cat food out." 

"And a bowl full of water," Willow called after her as Myrtle hustled away. She turned back to say good-bye to Willow and caught sight of Sherry Angevine peeking out behind one of Cullen's curtains.

Myrtle didn't really feel like going back home yet. She felt more like mulling things over with Miles. On the way back home, she stopped by Miles's house. A minute went by. Myrtle frowned and looked in Miles's driveway again. His car was there. She guessed he could have walked into town, but Miles usually drove since he'd been so accustomed to living in the city. She rang the doorbell. 

Another minute passed before Miles's face peered out of the window next to his front door. Myrtle swore she saw irritation flash across his face. He slowly opened the door.  

Myrtle gaped at him. "Miles! You're in your bathrobe and slippers!" 

"That's not a crime, is it, Myrtle?" asked Miles with dignity. 

"But it's the middle of the day!" 

Miles shook his head in exasperation. "For heaven's sake, Myrtle. I simply decided to go back to bed after I left Kiwanis. I haven't been sleeping well lately, to begin with. Then last night we discovered a murder, I had to drag Georgia out of my house, I woke up at the crack of dawn to serve pancakes this morning-it's all made me completely exhausted. I'm a little better now that I've slept for-oh, only about forty-five minutes. Thanks for your concern." 

His annoyance had a subduing effect on Myrtle. "Do you need coffee?" she asked meekly. "I could make some for us." 

Myrtle made a pot of coffee while Miles changed into some jeans and a button down shirt. He eased himself onto his leather sofa and said, 'So give me an update. How are things going with the investigation this morning? Solved the case yet?" 

Myrtle carefully ignored the trace of sarcasm in his voice. "No, it wasn't all that interesting this morning. Red didn't have much information to give me about the case, not that that's anything new. Or if he had information, he wasn't sharing any of it. Except he mentioned that Cullen was acting unusually." 

"Unusually for Cullen or unusual for a regular person?" 

"I guess for either one. The spouse is always suspect number one, you know, so I guess he was angry that the police were treating him as if he might have killed Jill. Then I saw Willow and she looked terrible..." 

"Well, her sister was murdered," said Miles. 

"....but she says she came back to Jill's house for some of the leftover barbeque from last night. But I think she was actually there to confront Cullen and was just using the barbeque for an excuse. I bet she's pegged Cullen for the murderer." 

"That would make sense," agreed Miles, "since she's never liked Cullen." 

They sipped their coffee for a few minutes in silence. 

"Did I tell you about my new friend?" asked Myrtle. 

"You mean the furry, wild friend? Yes, you mentioned it. How are things going with it?" 

"I think things are about to get even better." She held up the zippered bag with the cat food. "Elaine gave me some food for her. Although really, she eats like a king. You know how Erma's squirrel population always spills over into my yard? Wiping out the sunflower seeds in my feeder?" 

Miles nodded.  

"Well now the squirrels are terrified to even tiptoe into my yard. That cat is so fast that the squirrels never know what hit them. "