Toki Tabibito

They left the prison building, thinking about what Katashi had told them. They stood in a triangle again, Clockwork had her broken auto-mail swung over her shoulder.

"What do we do?" she asked.

"I guess we could go to Resembool. I mean, Maiha and Harumi are there, we could pay them a visit to see how they're doing." suggested Al

"While we are there, Clockwork could get her auto-mail looked at by Winry." announced Ed.

Clockwork rolled her eyes a little but she knew they had two perfectly good reasons to go. "Yeah, ok, fine. But we need to get back on track after we get it done."

The brothers smiled and lead the way to the station.

*****

They had been sat on the train for an hour now, and were beginning to get bored.

"Clockwork, I'm just wondering, why do you dislike Maiha and Harumi?" asked Ed, resting his chin on his right fist.

She was looking out the window at the time. She looked at Ed through the corner of her eye. "I don't know." she said, sighing. "I guess we just had a little fall out once and we've not seen each other since." she explained.

Ed looked a little annoyed, "That's such a girl thing to do!" he exclaimed. Clockwork turned her head towards him as he continued, "You have a small fight and now you won't talk to each other." he said, raising his voice.

"Brother, calm down, you're attracting attention." explained Al, signalling to quiet down.

Clockwork's eyes squinted a little and her eyebrows lowwered. "Well I'm sorry!" she exclaimed. "Jees, I never knew The Fullmetal Alchemist was such a little brat." she said to herself, sitting back in her chair and looking away.

"WHO ARE YOU CALLING A TINY LITTLE PIPSQUEAK THAT YOU COULD STEP ON!" Ed shouted, standing up and a vein pulsing on his head.

"Brother, she didn't say that." Al said, holding Ed back.

*****

They hopped off the train, Ed and clockwork still having their little war.

They walked up the drive to Winry and Pinako's house, Pinako was stood outside the house as usual, smoking her pipe with their dog lying next to her. She saw the three of them poking their heads up from down the road and smiled, "Winry, Pipsqueak and Al are back!" she shouted to Winry.

They got to the top of the drive and were greeted by Pinako,"So, you've decided to visit us again? You really should ring us before you come." she stated.

Ed was about to say something until Clockwork barged passed Ed and Al. "I'm afraid they actually have a reason this time." explained Clockwork, showing Pinako her auto-mail.

Clockwork started off smiling, but as she looked up her smile slowly turned into surprise. She quickly ducked.

"Ooowww!" shouted Ed. Winry had thrown her spanner at Ed again. Ed rubbed his head and held one eye shut, "Is that really how you're going to greet me every time!" he exclaimed.

Winry had made her way out the house by the time Ed had finished speaking. "I hope you haven't broken your auto-mail again." She ran to hug the brothers, a smile apeared on her face but turned into confusion as she saw Clockwork, "Huh... Who's this?" she asked.

"Her? oh she's The Clockwork Alchemist." answered Ed

Clockwork removed her bandana to reveal her smiling face. "Hey there, these guys told me you're good with auto-mail." Winry was about to shake her hand, but Clockwork placed the broken auto-mail into her hand instead. "Do you think you could fix this for me?" she asked.

Winry looked at it carefully, examining every crack and gap. "Wow, this is really well made!" she explained, Clockwork was beginning to feel proud about herself, "Although, the connection here isn't made well, the gear is in the wrong place and--" she was interupted by Clockwork.

"Give me a break, I only made it with one hand!" she exclaimed.

Winry smiled politely in order to apologise. "Hmm, This may take a while. It's a good job we recently finished Maiha's leg." she explained, using her thumb to piont inside the house.

They looked over Winry's shoulder and saw a girl struggling to walk with her new auto-mail leg, and being assisted by her twin sister.

"Maiha, Harumi!" Al shouted, running towards them

*****

It was late, Winry and Pikano were working on Clockwork's Auto-mail, Al and the twins were outside playing, and Ed was sat inside on the sofa. He had his knees up to his face and his arms resting on them. Clockwork came in, Ed looked behind him, "Oh, hey." he greeted.

Clockwork sat on the seat on the other side of the sofa. "Ed, I'm sorry I've been horrible the past couple of days." she apologised.

Ed looked at her, "It's ok, I know I can be a little unpleasant to be around sometimes." he explained. "Clockwork, Just wondering, what is your real name? You never told us." he asked politely.

"Hm, that's the thing, I don't remmber my real name. Around the places I've been, I was given the name 'Toki Tabibito'." she explained.

"Time traveler?" he asked.

"Yeah, a little cheesy haha." she replied.

Ed smiled and continued, "How did you forget your name?"

"Well, you know in alchemy we have the law of equivalent exchange?... Well you of all people would know." she said, joking around, "Because I don't have a physical thing to exchange, it takes part of my memory." she explained. "I can only travel back up to 24 hours so the longer I travel, the more precious the memory. For example, if I go back two or three minutes then I'll probably lose a memory of falling over as a child, or a time when I heard a bad joke. But if I travel back 24 hours then I could lose the memory of a whole person, or in this case my name."

"So, you went back in time 24 hours once?" Ed asked.

"Yeah, I was... 12 at the time, my home city was in a civil war. One day, the enemy entered my house. They took my parents from me and shot them right in front of me..." explained Toki, she was looking at the ground as she spoke, Ed was watching her, mouth half open in fascination. "One of the men pointed a shotgun at me. Luckily, I was able to escape in one piece, but I was so distort that I wanted to go back and save them. I went back 24 hours, I wasn't sure what to do because I was so young." a tear began to form in her eye, but she wiped it away before it could fall. "I had to rewatch my parent's death and as I did so, I distracted my past self. The man with the shotgun shot again, but this time managed to hit my past selves left arm. It shattered into pieces which made my future self have a missing arm too. It wasn't until I returned to original time that I forgot my name."

Ed was surprised about Toki's past, he never knew that was why she was depressed most of the time, he just presumed it was because she was a girl.

"I... never knew you had it so bad Toki." he explained.

"My past is nothing compared to what you and Al gave up." she said.

The two of them smiled at each other.