Before he could say another word and offend me even more, I gracefully slipped past him and continued down the dirt road. I shifted a basket of groceries from one arm to another while picking up my skirts and jogging the rest of the way home. People turned their heads every now and then to look at me as I passed but I was already known as the town oddball. What kind of woman these days goes running down the streets? Of course, not even many men can run from society living off those food pills. They're like nutrition supplements but they contain high levels of fat and sugars. Bad "food" plus no exercise equals canes for everyone. After the soil became too contaminated to grow anything scientists came up with these little red and blue capsules that you can get everything you need - and more - from. They never tried to plant anything again after that because they didn't need to, but I keep a little garden at the back of my house after my father showed me it's fertile again. It's been nearly three hundred years since the flooding so it would make sense that the earth has cleansed itself in a way.

When I arrived at my little farm I immediately spotted my sister's expensive, no-fuel car that her husband bought her for her birthday. It suspended three inches off the ground and reflected the sunlight off its red metal. I slowed down to a walk and took my time getting inside. My sister Wendy is...difficult at times to deal with.

As soon as I opened the door I heard her scream as her feet pounded out into the foyer. She was a short, stocky woman of thirty whose hair was already starting to grey a little bit. At her side was her brat of a son named Dylan. He was similar in height and size to his mother. He clasped onto Wendy's hand and stuck his tongue out at me. I resisted the urge to stick my tongue back out at the little ten year old devil. Twenty-two year olds do not stick their tongues out at people.

"I have a surprise for you!" Wendy exclaimed, clapping her hands together like a school girl.

"Oh god. Your surprises always get me into trouble. What is it you want me to do this time?" I asked.

Her lips pursed in annoyance and she did her best to look extremely offended. "Well that's no way to talk to your older sister. Especially since I got you an early birthday gift."

I scoffed. "My birthday isn't until next month, Wendy." I reminded her.

She huffed and crossed her arms over her big chest. "I know that! That's why I said early birthday present. Geez."

My suspicions about whatever Wendy had planned still didn't go away. I scrutinized her every expression to try and decipher what exactly my birthday present was, but she gave away no clues. I was getting impatient and I just couldn't wait any longer so I yelled, "Well, where is it?!"

Wendy broke out into a smile and scurried into the living room, dragging me along behind her in haste. At first I couldn't see anything different about my living room. It was still the big, old-fashioned green room with the ugly blue carpeting and red plush furniture. Then, something in the corner of my eye caught my view and I gaped at the strange man - no, robot - standing in my living room.

"Are you crazy!" I exclaimed, yanking my hand out of Wendy's grip. "I told you a million times over that I do not want a robot slave!"

"You throw the word slave around like it's a big deal. Besides, he's not a slave, he's a helper. I know you need help around the farm and he's perfect for the job. I mean, look at those muscles Sophie!"

I found myself thoroughly looking the man - robot - up and down.

"Oh my." I said. I blushed and clamped my lips shut. I knew he heard me but his face was as blank as a piece of paper. Wendy was right. He was packed with muscles. He was undeniably handsome. His blonde hair was cut short, but a few strands still hung over his left eye. I bet if his face was measured it would all be mathematically perfect sharp angles and curves. His strong jawline was covered in a five o'clock shadow but the rest of him was crisp and clean-cut. His skin was a golden colour but I knew underneath it was a bunch of spinning gears and wires. "What's his name?" I whispered.